Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

How does your Dept utilize fans?

4 posts in this topic

Can't say that I know how to use fans properly at working fires. I know we use them to suck the smoke out after the fires out or the burnt food is removed from the stove.

But, what are the various ways to effectively utilize fans at working fires?

There are a few that I know of.Horizontal ventilation,Forced ventilation which we don't do,negative pressure ventilation,Positive pressure ventilation and hydraulic ventilation( or fog pattern). I think there is one more Vertical ventilation which would be used in basement fires I believe but my memory could serve me wrong. Our department so far anyway have used fans pretty much like you,to extract the smoke from the structure using Negative pressure ventilation. Any kind of ventilation you need good fireground communication to make it work,But that would pretty much go for any operation on the fireground.

Edited by HFD750

Bring bus loads of people to the fire scene and have them chear on the firefighters.........oh........."fans". Sorry.........

Bring bus loads of people to the fire scene and have them chear on the firefighters.........oh........."fans".  Sorry.........

A little levity never hurts! laugh.gif