Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD201

New York Firefighter Hurt in Collapse

1 post in this topic

New York Firefighter Seriously Hurt in Collapse

Courtesy of WIVBTV News4

A Buffalo firefighter is clinging to life this morning after he was seriously injured on the job.

Firefighter Mark Reed of Engine 31 is in intensive care at Erie County Medical Center after fellow firefighters say a chimney collapsed on him.

It happened as Reed and fellow firefighters were battling flames inside a house at 120 Wende Street. Investigators say the empty house quickly became unstable. Then about ten minutes after crews got to work, disaster struck.

Witness Maria Redd-Moss says "I was standing on the porch, I actually seen the chimney began to collapse and fall. Then I heard a big crashing. I didn't think anyone could have been below it but then they started yelling and screaming and paramedics and everybody were running in the backyard."

Division Chief Don McFeely says "He took a substantial hit. We looked at his helmet, we retrieved his helmet. His helmet's intact. That's a good sign. Maybe he didn't get hit square in the head, but he took a real good hit."

The Fire Commissioner's Office says Firefighter Reed suffered head, chest, and leg injuries. In the meantime, arson is suspected in last night's fire.

Edited by HFD201