Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

A Public Service Announcement

1 post in this topic

Received this in an email from our State Senator...is on the basic mailing list...look for this when you respond to jobs...may help a lot. I.C.E. is not new but is gaining popularity.

New York State Senator

Vincent L. Leibell

40th Senate District

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

As the summer season begins I know many of you will be traveling, and I want to pass on some potentially lifesaving advice. Many emergency room physicians are suggesting that those with cellular phones add "ICE" or "In Case of Emergency" numbers into their cell phone address books. Medical professionals are using these entries to notify emergency contacts and gain critical knowledge of a patient's medical history if they are unconscious or unable to speak.

It is important for medical professionals dealing with ill or injured patients to know who to call for information in order to provide fast and effective treatment.

To ensure that these emergency contacts will be available to provide the information needed, medical providers suggest adding two emergency contacts. They can be stored simply as "ICE-1" and "ICE-2" or with names such as "ICE-Dad". Whether using numbers or names it is important that the "ICE" designation comes first.

Since phones aren't always reliable, carrying a summary of your medical history in your wallet is also helpful.

When deciding what to include in your medical history, keep the acronym "MAD" in mind.

Medicines - list all current medications you are taking, including herbal and organic supplements because they can and do interact with certain medications.

Allergies - list all known allergies, especially to medications, but also to foods.

Doctors - include the names and phone numbers of doctors, or other medical providers, responsible for your regular care.

On a final note, although "ICE" and wallet-based information is helpful, neither should be considered a substitute for Medical Alert bracelets and necklaces that also provide vital information.

I hope you find this information valuable, and I wish you a safe and enjoyable summer!

Sincerely,

Senator Vincent Leibell

Edited by Oswegowind