FireFighter I

This is a 84 hour course being held on the following dates:

Katonah: July 3, 5, 12, 17, 19, 24, 26, 31 from 19:00 to 22:00

August 2, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23 from 19:00 to 22:00

FTC: July 10 from 19:00 to 22:00

July 14, 28 from 08:00 to 17:00

August 11, 25 from 08:00 to 17:00

August 14, 28 from 19:00 to 22:00

Description: Firefighter I introduces firefighting concepts, practices and techniques necessary for success within the fire service. Based on the Firefighter Level I objectives from NFPA Standards 1001, this course develops knowledge, skills and abilities based on performance criteria for the following topics: Fire department organization, firefighter safety, fire behavior, personal protective equipment, self contained breathing apparatus, fire extinguishers, building searches, forcible entry, ground ladders, ventilation, hose practices fire streams, and loss control. The course consists of performance criteria in incident command, building construction, ropes/knots, rescue procedures, forcible entry applications, ventilation practices, fire extinguisher applications, suppression of structural fire, tactics, vehicle suppression, water supply, loss control, fire cause determination, fire department communications, fire suppression systems, hazardous materials, weapons of mass destruction, confined space safety and fire prevention practices.

Target audience: Entry-Level firefighter

Prerequisites: None

Register through your chief or training officer.

Chief's and training officer's can register their personnel at;

www.westchestergov.com/emergserv.

Each student must present a Westchester County DES Training Permission Form to the instructor. The NYS Training Authorization Letter and the DES Permission Form can be accessed and downloaded when registering. Walk-ins are not permitted. Class size is limited to Twenty (20) students.

Venue: Katonah FD Satellite, Katonah, New York & Westchester County DES Training Center, 4 Dana Rd. – Grasslands Campus, Valhalla, New York. All students are to park in the lot adjacent to the training center and the police academy. For questions or concerns regarding weather or course cancellation call (914) 231 – 1615.

Full PPE and SCBA will be required.

New York State Authorization form is MANDATORY for Admission to class

Now that they have finally upped the class in hours, It'll be interesting to see if FF survival will still be given simultaneously with FF I.

Bunkers:

The 2 units added to the firefighter 1 curriculum did not include any additoinal "survival" skills. Hopefully that will be the case when it comes time for the next revision.

Most instructors who teach FF 1 and are certified to teach survival add that on in addition with their course. Which I believe yours was one of them.