Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

Planning Boards and Fire Districts

3 posts in this topic

As I was reading a post in the Apparatus thread, I had a thought. How many Planning Boards and/or Commissions work with the Fire District or Department in their jurisdiction, concerning driveway sizes, additional water storage, etc? I know that our Board of commissioners.and chiefs meet with the Planning Board, and the applicant, to go over plans especially when a development or subdivision has been proposed. I believe that in at least some of the cases this may also pertain to single family homes proposed to be built.

Anybody have anything to add? does anybody else have a similar working relationship with their Planning/Builging Departments?

As a planning board member I constantly keep fire protection in the discussion. At times I have made requests that surpass what the fire district has asked for. As a fire department or district you should make yourself part of the process. Where I live the FD, PD, Ambulance, and School District are notified during the review and asked to comment on the project.

In addition to the planning board I recomend departments work with the Building Inspector to be notified of all new constraction with lightweight components.

Yes, In my District the Planning and Building Departments work well with us. In fact, we have many farms with LARGE barns being built on the property, the Building Inspector will meet us at these places and do walk-thrus wiyh us as a drill on Monday evenings.