Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fsw1970

Classic Archville apparatus

10 posts in this topic

Thought I'd try posting some stuff from my collection and see what reaction I get.

Here's archville to start with. Old E236 was this 1966 IHC/Hahn 750/500. I remember being able to still make out Scarborough Engine Co on this rig.

Can anyone tell me the exact story behind Archville's formation?

post-3509-1183076047.jpg

I believe this 1982 Hahn 1250/1000 is still in service as E235.

post-3509-1183076173.jpg

This was the old E235. It's a 1950 WLF 750/300, that was originally Steamer Co of Ossining. It was bought by Archville at their formation in 1973. Ron Bogardus pic

post-3509-1183076391.jpg

Here's a shot of it from the Croton muster in 1983 I believe. I'm guessing it was OOS by this point. can anyone 5tell me what that is on the running board under the siren light???

post-3509-1183076631.jpg

Last shot from Archville is of their(Scarborough's) old hand pumper.

post-3509-1183076747.jpg

can anyone 5tell me what that is on the running board under the siren light???

Can't be 100% sure but it is probably a suction strainer.

Also as an FYI, as a former member of Steamer Co. the Company seal on the Drivers side door is different than on the Officers' side door. The Steamer faces forward on both doors, rather than it being the same seal on both sides where it would face forward on one side but the same seal would face toward the rear on the opposite side.

Edited by SteveOFD

Nice photos fsw1970 ! Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone tell me the exact story behind Archville's formation?

According to "A Centrury of Volunteer Service"Briarcliff Manor FD book published in 2001 ,, 1909 the Archville FD was chartered with Hubert W. Mannerly as Fire Chief. From 1909 to 1930 , Archville was autonomous. It was then approached by Briarcliff Manor to provide fire protection to the Scarborough area. A partial merger was arranged and Archville changed its name to the Scarborough Fire Company and became part of the BMFD. This affiliation lasted during the period 1930 to 1972. In the spring of 1972 Archville returned to protecting the district split from Scarborough Engine Company.

Above information from BMFD History Chapter #9.

Last shot from Archville is of their(Scarborough's) old hand pumper.

fsw1970 Posted Today, 08:24 PM

Archville's original equiptment was thirty fourteen quart galvanized buckets stored in the shed at Albany Post Rd & Union Street.

Funds were then raised to purchase a 50-gallon horse - drawn , hand operated pumper from the VALHALLA FIRE Department with the tank replenised by the bucket brigade.

post-23-1183089713.jpg

Edited by TR54

Thanks for the info guys! Glad you like the pics. I've got some from almost every Westchester dept.

Thems is nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

-Joe DA BUFF