Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

NYC Taxi Identification System

6 posts in this topic

a. Does anyone understand the NYC Taxi Identification system? It is very similar to the NY State Police numbers, always thought that was kind of funny.

b. Does the NYPD have a tracking system that can be used in order to locate taxis that may have been involved in crimes, hit and runs, lost property situations, i.e. lost luggage...?

c. Other than the traditional 2S65 number on the plate sometimes there is a small letter and it does not appear to be in the same location on each and every taxi license plate, would those possibly be the garage locations?

All of this is referring to the NYC Yellow Taxi's seen in and around Manhattan and the major airports. Most other boroughs seem to have more "gypsy" cabs with TLC plates.

d. And does NYPD have a hack unit or just a special unit assigned to the Yellow Cabs to track drivers and cars?

a. Does anyone understand the NYC Taxi Identification system? It is very similar to the NY State Police numbers, always thought that was kind of funny.

b. Does the NYPD have a tracking system that can be used in order to locate taxis that may have been involved in crimes, hit and runs, lost property situations, i.e. lost luggage...?

c. Other than the traditional 2S65 number on the plate sometimes there is a small letter and it does not appear to be in the same location on each and every taxi license plate, would those possibly be the garage locations?

All of this is referring to the NYC Yellow Taxi's seen in and around Manhattan and the major airports. Most other boroughs seem to have more "gypsy" cabs with TLC plates.

d. And does NYPD have a hack unit or just a special unit assigned to the Yellow Cabs to track drivers and cars?

I was told that the small number on the plate denotes a subsequent issuance of the same plate number - i.e. for a lost plate. Since the plate numbers correspond to the medallion numbers, they have to be reissued.

Don't know if they have a system like SP's for the issuance of them. Interesting question.

I just meant that they looked like the state police numbers...not that the system is the same.

I did know they issued medallions (expensive right?), did not know these numbers corresponded to the medallions...once again Chris192 has the answers...didn't know that he used to drive a cab too...lol

The Taxi and Limosine Commission has an Enforcement Division- Uniformed and Plainclothes Officers that deal with livery vehicles. They do V&T stops, in marked and unmarked cars, on drivers and also set up "sting" operations at tourist pick-up spots, like airports and bus terminals, to ensure that overcharging passengers doesn't take place.

Some precincts have unmarked cars that are done up to look like taxis, usually have hid a away strobes, and small red light to throw on the dash.

a.) Not sure how numbers are issued, only as mentioned before plate number coresponds to the medallion number.

b.) NYPD does not have a tracking system for taxis...bu each taxi, and livery cab is supposed to have a flashing yellow light in the grill, and on the rear of the car, usually thru truck lid to alert PD if the driver is in need of assistance. It is avctivated by the driver, and any passengers in the car are unaware the light is on.

c.) answered as above, new letter for new issue of plate.

d. NYPD has STED.. Street Taxi Enforcement Division. Primary responsibliity is to watch operation of taxis, and summons as appropriate, for Vehicle Traffic Law violations.

Edited by grumpyff

That is cool to know about the light...

Thanks for the info guys!