Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ailc307

FDNY Haz-Mat

20 posts in this topic

According to the FAJ July-August issue out for bid or on the drawing board is a new Haz-Mat truck with a second piece. Could we be seeing a dedicated Haz-Mat 2 in the city before to long.

Also there looking at getting 5 new rescues, So will Rescue 1's pierce already be going to spare or reserve status or could we see a full time rescue 6.

It reads replacement of haz mat's second pieces, not the primary truck just recieved. Rescue 1 will be eventually be replaced again. Rescue spares are old and in bad shape.

Rescue 1 was bought as a test for the next generation of Rescues. The question now is it going to be Ferrara or Pierce?

How do you feel about an ALF Rescue? Have you seen any?

ALF won't survive in NYC

They had an ALF pumper at 34's in Hells Kitchen for a while and now its on Governors Island (I believe). It did ok but I don;t think it lasted the rigors of the city. We'll have to ask the FDNY members here about them.

I would be surprised if the new rescues were Ferraras or even a Seagrave chassis with either a Marion or Rescue 1 body. But I'm only speculating.

Edited by IzzyEng4

I have a guy in my Volunteer Company who is a member of Rescue 1. He told me today that they (the members of the company) arent happy with the new rig. There is talk of it not making it to the end of the year

I would really like to see Ferrara make the Rescue's for the city, speaking to Ferrara does any one know how HM1 is holding up?

sr71

I don't think they'll be happy until they see something near indestructable. *cough*Seagrave*cough*Ferrara*cough*cough

Mike

I don't think they'll be happy until they see something near indestructable. *cough*Seagrave*cough*Ferrara*cough*cough

Mike

I agree with you 100%

HM1 is doing very well, but it doesn't get the abuse that a front line rescue does. The rescues are heavier and see many more miles on the surface streets. HM1 gets alot more highway miles.

The part of the article that got my attention was that 5 foam apparatus without pumps are being considered. I wonder what the idea is there? I agree, the spare rescues are pretty beat-up. One is a 1985 Mack/Saulisbury if I'm not mistaken.

The part of the artical that got my attention was that 5 foam apparatus without pumps are being considered. I wonder what the idea is there?

The city runes 5 foam tenders / foam units one in each borough. I believe the current foam units are old Mack CF chassis pumpers converted by the shops in Queens. There rigs are separate from the Hi-Ex foam unit.

my buddy and i were in the city not too long ago, maybe three weeks ago and we were feeling buffy so we took a walk up to see R1. we started talking to one of the guys about how he likes rescue company and how he and the guys like the new rig. he didnt seem to have any big issues with it and neither did any of the members on his tour. he said every truck has their fare share of problems just as this one but they are small. ALSO, we were told in the two months or so they have had it, 8000 miles have been placed on it already. you find any truck that can do that many miles on NYC streets and will hold up without a problem, it just can't be done.

Just an FYI on the FOAM rigs. The city no longer has the hi-ex unit. There is one Foam tender which has 3000gal of foam, this was a purchased unit.. The other units are "Foam units" which carry 1000gal? of foam and are coverted rig.

There are 10 converted pumpers with 1,000 gal. foam tanks with engines 5, 95 (Man), 96 (Bnx), 152, 154, 167 (SI), 206,321(Bkyn), 260 and 294 (Qns). 95 and 206 carry Alcohol resistent foam. By the way, 8,000 miles in two months? I have a whole new appreciation for rescue 1's workload!

I have heard that the guys at Rescue 4 are doing between 150 to 200 miles per tour.

I believe the city had American Lafrance rescue style trucks back in the 80’s. Our “Putnam County” Hazmat Truck is a 1982 ALF, which rumor has it was the city’s X-Hazmat Rig, then a collapse truck. If any one has any more info on this or a picture of the truck when it was in service with the FDNY it would be greatly appreciated.

or a 100% Seagrave rescue....

This is what I think will happen too.

I believe the city had American Lafrance rescue style trucks back in the 80’s. Our “Putnam County” Hazmat Truck is a 1982 ALF, which rumor has it was the city’s X-Hazmat Rig, then a collapse truck. If any one has any more info on this or a picture of the truck when it was in service with the FDNY it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic it is not a great one but here you go.

post-1209-1187143808.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Yes, the Putnam County HazMat is ex-FDNY, or so I have been told on another board. Here it is as Putnam County BOES Hazmat 1 ( not the best photo either) if you want to compare to above..

post-917-1187152364.jpg