Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

"Brother Love" Kenny Oliver back on the job at NHFD

1 post in this topic

Kenny 'Brother Love" Oliver was one of my EMT refresher instructors over the years at New Haven Sponsor Hospital. Glad your back! - Joe

Jul. 9--NEW HAVEN -- Kenny Oliver was a firefighter/paramedic, an EMS instructor, a father of seven and 48 years old when he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

After almost seven months in the hospital, out-patient recovery and light duty, the 12-year veteran was cleared to return last week to the familiar confines of his fire ambulance, Emergency 1.

And to the familiar ribbing that happens in the firehouse.

"He's a paramedic and he tells people how to take care of themselves," said fire Lt. Jack Ryan at the Woodward Avenue firehouse on Oliver's first day back. "Then, he has chest pains and shortness of breath and he drives himself to the hospital."

"I didn't have chest pains," responded Oliver, with his easy smile.

In a Fire Department where controversy over promotions and hiring and racial tensions have made headlines, Oliver's situation illustrates the underlying brotherhood inside the fire service.

Over the years, when other firefighters struggled to pass EMT certification that they needed to stay on the job, Oliver was there to tutor them or pick up other people's shifts.

So with Oliver laid up for months, his colleagues rallied to cover his shifts -- on their own time -- so he wouldn't have to burn his sick time or vacation. They planned a "Signal 4" party, the police code for "officer needs assistance," that about 400 people attended, and he was a beneficiary of the annual Police/ Fire Hockey game, which raises money for police officers and firefighters in need.

The fire service is a family, said Firefighter Malcolm Brooks, and just like all families there are people who just can't get along. But they also put aside those differences and pull together when a colleague falls on hard times, he said.

With seven kids, Oliver was anxious to get back to work, even when he was still in the hospital, said Franklin Quicksey, another fire paramedic. Quicksey told him he'd get his shifts covered.

"Kenny helped a lot of people out. If you didn't pass the (EMT) test for some reason, Kenny would help you out. Those were the main ones that, when they heard Kenny needed someone to work for him, they stepped up and did it," said Quicksey.

Oliver, like Quicksey, joined the department without any medical background but took advantage of training opportunities offered by the department to become emergency medical technicians and later paramedics.

In addition to the Fire Department, Oliver worked shifts for American Medical Response and worked as an instructor for the New Haven Sponsor Hospital Program, which oversees emergency medical services around Greater New Haven.

He has a way about him, according to his co-workers who call him "Brother Love," both in the firehouse and on medical calls.

With patients, his genial manner convinces people who are dead-set against going to the hospital to take the ride in the ambulance.

On Thursday, Oliver's first shift, he rode with Firefighter/ Paramedic Justin Bialecki, a 23-year-old with two years on the job. Oliver was one of his instructors when Bialecki was in the EMT Cadet program, a joint venture between the fire service and Board of Education that trains city high school students as EMTs.

Bialecki's under strict orders to make sure Oliver takes it easy for a few days and eases back into a routine.

"He has been an instructor of mine since I was in the EMS academy at 16," Bialecki said. "I find it funny that I'm here as the buffer for Kenny since for the last 10 years, Kenny has been the one teaching me."

The first shift was routine. Some shortness of breath calls, difficulty breathing, "the regular stuff."

"After the first call, I was

ready," Oliver said. "Back up on

the bike."

-----

To see more of New Haven Register, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.nhregister.com.

Copyright © 2007, New Haven Register, Conn.