New trooper looks forward to saving lives

1 post in this topic

Congrats to the new troopers

From the Times Herald Record

New trooper looks forward to saving lives

By Brendan Scott

Times Herald-Record

July 11, 2007

Albany — Some loathe the monotonous and sometimes dangerous road patrol duty that awaits all state troopers after the academy.

Not Gregory Plitsch, who was among 74 new Stetson-topped cops sworn in by Gov. Eliot Spitzer yesterday in Albany. The 24-year-old New Paltz native says his training as a registered nurse has made him anxious to get out and write tickets.

"I'm looking forward to saving lives," Plitsch said. "I've seen what excessive speed and no seat belts can do."

Plitsch, who will be stationed at the state police barracks in Greenville, joins seven other fresh troopers headed to Middletown-based Troop F.

Making it on the 4,900-member police force required months of tests, background evaluations, firearms lessons and physical fitness drills. Each academy grad will receive a $61,525 annual salary.

They'll enter a dangerous profession. Since 2005, the state police lost five members in the line of duty, including three as a result of gunshot wounds.

That's something Kingston native Joseph Temple, 30, said he's prepared for. The former military police officer says he's been dreaming about becoming a trooper since he was 16.

"It's the best day of my life," Temple said.

Here's the complete list of academy grads headed to Troop F: Dean E. Andrikut of Slate Hill, Andrew T. Bukovinsky of Wurtsboro, Richard J. Butler of Troy, James R. Kautz of Jeffersonville, Jared L. Lamonica of Grahamsville, Gregory R. Plitsch of New Paltz, Esther Suarez of Catskill and Joseph A. Temple of Kingston.