Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlcougar2001

Department Of State

6 posts in this topic

I recently recieved a card from the department of state. It was a card with number that stated instead of using your Social Security Number for training purposes i'm supposed to use this number. Has anyone else recieved this card and doen anyone know why they are doing this.

I recently recieved a card from the department of state. It was a card with number that stated instead of using your Social Security Number for training purposes i'm supposed to use this number. Has anyone else recieved this card and doen anyone know why they are doing this.

The DC Training site has informed everyone of this, per OFPC.

The DOS is trying to get away from the use of Social Security Numbers when you sign up for classes. If you remember, when you filled out the orange card in the begining of a class the first thing you put in the boxes was your SSN. In todays day and age of idenity theft it is a prudent move.

it is to be used in place of a social security number. all firefighters will be getting this card . I do hope it works.

What will people who are taking their first training class use?

Students who are taking their first class will use their SS# to complete the card. They must also completely fill out the card as to the information on the back so that they have an address to mail the new number to. Once you have been issued the new number you are supposed to use the number instead of your SS#. If for some reason you have lost your card you may still use your SS#. On top of this you will start to see new Green cards instead of the old orange cards. The new cards collect more information than the old. Example those of you who belong to two different fire organizations will be able to put both departments on the card. Second the new number eventlually allow you to access over the web your personal training record on file at OFPC.