Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Turn of River New Rescue 66 (Stamford CT)

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know if that's an accurate photo or not? Last two deliveries (E62 and E64) were both delivered black over red.....and that's white over red. I may have to check some other sources at work tomorrow.

The Turn of River fire department in Stamford CT is expecting thier new rescue sometime in August.

Image from HME website

The truck replaces a 1983 Mack pictured here

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/otherstat...nOfRiverR66.jpg

well i still like the mack much better.

In reference to the comment about the paint...from what I've heard there was a very big mix up and the factory painted the rig to SFRD specs, but they were fixing it and apparently the rig is at Twin Lights in Milford now. This is all just what I've heard so anyone with more accurate info, feel free to correct me.

Can anyone shed any light on if the depts. in Stamford like the "cookie-cutter" stuff they are buying? I spoke to a good friend from Stamford Fire who said that those HME Aherens-Fox's are junk, and to be painfully honest, they look like junk...TOR has a nice looking fleet and this rescue REALLY suprised me, I think that they had no choice though...I think Stamford is going low-bidder for the Vollies and the Career station truck purchases.

Please don't interpret this as a bash against TOR or Stamford in general, its just too bad that this is where the apparatus purchasing is going for a town/city that turned out so many nice looking apparatus over the years, and keep in mind, that this post is coming from someone who's department buys Spartan/Marion (speaking of Junk!!!)

Just my .02 cents

The city of Stamford has a contract with HME/Ahrens Fox...not sure how long its for or the details, but all the city-purchased equipment has been from them the past couple of years. With the exception of a couple of rigs (TOR E64 and I think the Long Ridge Tanker) that were purchased by the departments with grant money, the city is no longer giving the volley dept's money for apparatus, but instead buying them for the dept's and keeping title to them.

I realize that they have a contract with the company to continue buying that stuff.

I came from Belltown in Stamford and back in the day when I was active, we used to buy all of our apparatus with fund drive money, hence the great looking Mack fleet that we used to have. Unfortunately, a few years ago, that tradition was broken when BFD bought a Spartan SCHMEAL????, again, MORE JUNK. They still have my favorite truck ever, a FDNY refurbed Mack/Baker Aerialscope 75'. It is still in service and I can proudly say that I wheeled it to several good jobs, and it was a real fun truck to drive, spot and operate.

As soon as the local governement gets involved with buying something as traditional as a fire truck, there is no stopping them from going low bid...

If it seems that I have strong opinions about this kind of thing, I do, I am a traditionalist in this business.

Joe C.

Here pics from trfd.com website.

I guess the rig had its white top color changed to black as stated in the forums.

New_Heavy_Resucue__66_Front-600x.jpg

New_Heavy_Rescue__66_Compts-600x450.jpg

Nice looking vehicle! Good Luck!

I guess it is nice, but...I like the mack better....

All this HME Aherens Fox stuff in stamford is depressing.

Good Luck w/it TOR!

JC

Oh, one more thing, PLEASE tell me that the new resuce has a Q2B and not just electronic cop-car sirens...We need to keep tradition.

Joe

At least they still have the beautiful Mack Superliner tanker.....

At least they still have the beautiful Mack Superliner tanker.....

Which actually got called for mutual aid by New Canaan the other day! (Possible structure fire on Frogtown Road... Cancelled en route)