Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mpgfire93

What type of gloves and hood do you use?

5 posts in this topic

What type of gloves to people use and what company? Does anyone perfer knit wrist or do you perfer Gauntlet gloves? What hood do people use?

Majestic Carbon Knight hood along with Pro-Tec 8 gloves with gauntlet cuffs. Keep a lighter weight hood in pocket just in case. The knight hood gives good neck protection(length). The pro-Tec 8 gloves have better dexterity than most but not impressed with the protection once the gloves have become "very" wet.

For car accidents I use Ringer's Extrication Gloves and they're great.

Here's some info on them,

Tough Armortex® reinforced index finger and thumb joint.

Tough Armortex® puncture resistant palm pads.

Tough Armortex® abrasion resistant fingertips and knuckles.

Clarino® palm and finger material is tougher than leather and still gives enough "feel" to palpate a pulse with the gloves on.

Elastic cuff keeps out cut glass, etc.

Reflective Schoeller® padded knuckle system.

Anatomically designed palm pads for unparalleled freedom of movement.

Non-Reflective Armortex® knuckle on black version.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ringer/extricat.html

You can get them from most fire or ems websites or catalogs

I used to use Shelby's structural glove for firefighting but picked up a pair of Fireman's Shield three weeks ago because the dexterity was much better. As for extrication, my first pair of Ringers didn't hold up well (seams came apart) so I went to Shelby.

Gauntlet Wrist versus Elastic Wrist will depend on the type of coat that you wear. Some of the newer coats have an integrated elastic wrist sleeve that is buit into the coat itself and matches up with the Gauntlet Glove which is what I have. They usually have a thumbstrap thay keeps the wrist sleeve from pushing back into the coat, hence you can use the gauntlet glove. With the older coats you need to use the gloves with the elastic wrist which provides the wrist protection.