Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY sirens

31 posts in this topic

I am absolutely positive that this topic has come up before, but i cannot remember. Why doesn't the FDNY use the Federal Q? If they do, i have never seen or heard it.

Anybody have a reson?

Thanks,

Josh

i do know some companies do use the Q and some companies use the eQ (electronic Q). just type "fdny responding" on youtube, you'll fine a rig with the traditional Q

It has to do with warranty on the rigs. The warranty on the electrical system of the Seagrave rigs in terms of a federal siren is an issue because the Federal Q draws too much power from the rig thus by installing it they void the warranty. At least that is what I have been told.

Aright thanks.

I just thought I had read or heard a convo where they werent allowed or something

Theres so many false rumors ive read on youtube comments as to why they dont use the traditional Q sirens but the one ive heared the most that I know is true b/c its been confirmed by guys on here before is the Seagrave warranty and how they cant drill holes in the chasis and the power supply as bvfd said. Now they are ordering the new rigs with the EQ2B's. The one that I also hear alot that I still dont understand is the siren being too loud and sound waves would bounce off the city buildings walls and stuff. I think the new electronic Q is just as loud but...

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Theres so many false rumors ive read on youtube comments as to why they dont use the traditional Q sirens but the one ive heared the most that I know is true b/c its been confirmed by guys on here before is the Seagrave warranty and how they cant drill holes in the chasis and the power supply as bvfd said. Now they are ordering the new rigs with the EQ2B's. The one that I also hear alot that I still dont understand is the siren being too loud and sound waves would bounce off the city buildings walls and stuff. I think the new electronic Q is just as loud but...

The one about the sound bouncing off buildings is the one I heard

To my knowledge the FDNY uses FS PA300 on all Fire Apparatus.

Might be a cost factor. Seems that is often the case with newer rigs nationwide.

To my knowledge the FDNY uses FS PA300 on all Fire Apparatus.

Thats correct, they use the manual button. But now rigs are being ordered with FS EQ2B's as well as the PA300's I think.

all new rigs are sent with the Eq2b except for the chief's trucks

This is going to be a little harsh, but...

A. Who really cares?

B. Why is it important?

C. Why not PM someone on the job in FDNY instead of posting it? Or, if it is posted, why do people have to speculate? There's plenty of people in the know who can answer this CORRECTLY.

What was the point of that? Obviously, since the "right" answer took so long to come out, it was a valid question. I thought that was the function of the board: to learn. Since handles with company names were banned, its become pretty hard to figure out who's a member where, so the the PM option is *. Bottom line, seems to me this falls under if you don't have somthing constructive to say....

What was the point of that? Obviously, since the "right" answer took so long to come out, it was a valid question. I thought that was the function of the board: to learn. Since handles with company names were banned, its become pretty hard to figure out who's a member where, so the the PM option is *. Bottom line, seems to me this falls under if you don't have somthing constructive to say....

I apologize for expressing my opinion. It kills me that threads about lights and other "buffy" things get more replies and discussion then topics about training, safety and other important things.

Nothing personal, please don't take it that way. I just hate coming here and seeing 40 or so posts in a topic about "toys" and hardly any input on things of real importance.

I apologize for expressing my opinion. It kills me that threads about lights and other "buffy" things get more replies and discussion then topics about training, safety and other important things.

Nothing personal, please don't take it that way. I just hate coming here and seeing 40 or so posts in a topic about "toys" and hardly any input on things of real importance.

585, I think you need to take a step back and look at who a lot of our members are---Buffs. They aren't police officers, firefighters or emts, or, for that matter, any other emergengy service personnel, although a lot of MOS, do reply to threads like this, but a lot of the good old buffs do too. I onderstand your point, which is a valid one, but are the true buffs who aren't MOS gonna be as concerned about training and safety? I think not.

Would I be considered a geek or super buff if I said I can tell who's coming down the street just by listening to the siren?? Just figured I'd ask.

Would I be considered a geek or super buff if I said I can tell who's coming down the street just by listening to the siren?? Just figured I'd ask.
No, just somebody who knows their sirens. Of course the good ole screeeeeeeaaaaaaaammmmmeeerrr is an easy one to recognize. And beside you are MOS, aren't you? Dispatchers (IMHO) are just as much MOS as the rest of us.

It could also be cause Q sirens are just plain annoying, I prefer the electric, I also see all to often 18-25 year old kids maxing out the Q behind some old lady while going to wires down. Give me an electric siren with a manual, thats all I need.

It could also be cause Q sirens are just plain annoying, I prefer the electric, I also see all to often 18-25 year old kids maxing out the Q behind some old lady while going to wires down. Give me an electric siren with a manual, thats all I need.

JSG, I think you mean the electronic, siren, but in the situation you mentioned above, the electronic eould be just as much of a PITA.

Well, thanks for all your answers and opinions, it informed me alot. And to those of you who are arguing about this, sorry it was such an inconvenience.

When I asked about putting a Federal Q siren on the rig, I was told by one of our FDNY Radio Mechanics, (who repair our radios, MDTs and sirens) that the definitive answer to this question was that the decibel level of the Q was "too loud" for city noise provisions and that was the reason for them not being allowed and if found, being removed from rigs.

I laughed and said "Too loud? It's supposed to be loud."

It reminded of the Seinfeld when Kramer got burnt with the coffee and sued....

Kramer:"The coffee was too hot."

Jerry:"Too hot?!?!? Coffee's supposed to be hot!!!"

Kramer:"Not that hot...."

Everyone here is a verified member and come from different walks of life. There interest in"buffy" things and"toys" should be respected as well as any other topic.

Leave the buffs alone. If their interest is the superfluous junk keeps their head in the game and their interest in the job then by all means let the siren threads continue. e92l44 has one of the two stories I've heard. The other is they're expensive and the city doesn't want to buck up. Then when we install them on our own we risk voiding the warranty by performing unauthorized modifications to the electrical system.

its better to have people be writing about what they know or interested in then to have just another guy on here who likes taking pictures of rigs trying to give advice on training that wounds work, and by just putting it their

its better to have people be writing about what they know or interested in then to have just another guy on here who likes taking pictures of rigs trying to give advice on training that wounds work, and by just putting it their

Can someone please translate this!

I think you have to be a buff to be in this business, otherwise your one of the ones that do the job because you have to, not because you love it. I read all the posts here, mainly just because i dont have i life, but thats besides the point. I enjoy reading about training and useful stuff just as much as the "buffy" stuff. Something made you want to do this, whether it was seeing firetrucks as a kid, or being saved, or something. There are alot of people that love this stuff, that may just not have the time or ability to do it for real...

Bringing a old topic back but.....

The Federal Q is not as effective as a electrical Siren and "WAIL", this was a actual study done by FDNY.

Inside a car a Fed Q can be heard 100 Feet Away

A Electric Siren and the "Wail" can be heard over 200 feet away

Edited by SPFC56-233

Bringing a old topic back but.....

The Federal Q is not as effective as a electrical Siren and "WAIL", this was a actual study done by FDNY.

Inside a car a Fed Q can be heard 100 Feet Away

A Electric Siren and the "Wail" can be heard over 200 feet away

i have read one study that is the contrary to the FDNY results. but like most test, factors are always key.

in the city where the electric siren's echo is bounced off all structures, then the electrics siren is probably suffice.

In the suburbs and urban areas (more open area), it is my understanding that the mechanical siren, with its rifling effect, is more effective to penetrate cars, as the sound waves from the electric siren can be manipulated, even by the wind.

My example is that mechanical sirens are like rifles and electronic sirens are like shotguns, when referring to its shot pattern.

…its kind of a hick example, but it’s the best way I can explain it!

Any idea where someone can get a copy of the FDNY study? Everything I have read would suggest the Q has more penetration. The weakness of the q is usually around corners and perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Any idea where someone can get a copy of the FDNY study? Everything I have read would suggest the Q has more penetration. The weakness of the q is usually around corners and perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I actually picked that up in EVOC. As for the Q, I have always thought it was more effective. Mabey the Q "Rumbler" is? Anyone come across it yet?

Penetration, volume, sound pattern.......this is getting way way past the issue.

An electronic siren costs 3 or 4 hundred bucks.

A "Q" costs 2,000 and that doesn't included the cost of a larger alt. to power it.

If you consider that the FDNY has about 380 regular field units (Eng. Truck. Sq. and Res.) the price difference is about $600,000 across the board evey 10 years. When it comes down to it, there isn't a $600,000 difference from one to the other.

Some newer rigs have the Elec. Q. It sounds like a yowling cat in heat. It sucks.