Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The recent closing of topics

24 posts in this topic

Why is it that certain topics are getting closed when they don't pose any real defamation or disrespect? A few days ago many of us saw a post that asked for the members not to curse. Failure to abide by this request would result in the suspension of that member. While I do not personally agree with the request I will certainly honor it as it is at least rational. However, today a post was closed for what appears to be nonsense. Perhaps the site administrator just doesn't agree with what the folks were saying. For those keeping score at home, I am referring to the Hatzolah post. There was no cursing and in in my opinion no disrespect being portrayed. However, the site administrator claimed he/she didn't "see a productive or constructive purpose to this thread". To me, this is not the way to run a member driven website. It appeared that the members were merely disclosing their opinions of an agency that consistently does not follow professional protocol. Why would anyone in this business condemn a constructive criticism of a clearly faulty operation? Aren't we here to better our services, procedures etc... ? Well, I bid you farewell as now I am certain to be shunned, exiled, suspended etc... and this post will probably also be closed.

You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you even read that thread???? Did you read why I closed it??

Please, since you're such an (self-proclaimed) expert in the field of running a constructive forum, please enlighten me as to how "I HATE HATZOLAH", a thread that was obviously created to express just that, is constructive, and compliant with the forum rules that state that creating a thread with the intent of "bashing" a specific agency is not tolerated?

It seems to me you are upset that I closed the thread, because, clearly, you wanted to bash that agency and didn't have the oppurtunity. Too bad. How about you create your own forum, and you can allow your members to rant and bash people and agencies. I'll keep up my work here to maintain this forum, as best I can, as a positive, constructive, and respectful place for those who make good and proper use of it and appreciate it.. As for the malcontents, those who want to stir the pot, and those who want to use this as their personal rant site.....and it's always the same group of select members.......get your own site or blog. It's not my fault you are ignorant to the CLEAR and consistent rules and policy of this forum. DO NOT blame me for members disregard for the rules!!!!

And, as is apparent by your last sentence in your post, you're more interested in creating trouble and bashing this site then actually being a contributing member. Don't taunt me or make completly ignorant and false accusastions. This reply makes that remark look really, really valid.

(PS: If you're going to bash this site via a public thread, I WILL respond in that public thread)

I certainly wasn't looking to bash any agency as you indicated was my intention. That isn't my style. However, it's a shame you are letting the comments of one individual close an entire post. There were some very important points made that will hopefully resonate to other members on this forum. But unfortunately they will not get to read and respond. Perhaps, it would have been prudent to remove the post which is in defiance of your rules instead of the whole post. Why should everyone suffer for someone's poor taste. And please spare me the "get your own forum" stuff. You should be able to hear a little constructive criticism once in a while.

I really don't have the energy to continue to address this complete and utter ignorance.

Again, what would have been the constructive outcome of that post? What "important points" were made? Where were the FACTS for discussion? Please, enlighten me. Because I really don't think you actually read that thread, or are reading a different thread then I am.

I can't delete the post that started the thread- that is the start and basis of the discussion!!!!

I've seen that issue come up on this forum before, and it always turns into a rantfest/bashfest. I understand the issue, but it serves no purpose to continue to bash them on this forum, especially since many have general resentment of them, legitmate or not it really isn't relevant. How would you feel if I came on here and made a post and said I hate your agency, based on what may or may not be true, just because I didn't agree with the way you operated? This agency in particlar, I am familiar with but this board isn't going to be used as a place to just trash them. If there's a constructive point to be made based on fact, discussion with other members from that agency, or disscussion based on a media report, then that's fine, but you can't expect to come on here and specifically express your hate for an agency and for it to be tolerated- again, we are consistent with the rules.

And I can take constructive criticism- when it comes from someone who actually is basing their criticism on FACTS and knows what they are talking about.

SFD302, I want to ask the same question as EMTBravo, did you even read that thread? Don't even let this person aggrevate you EMTBravo, it's quite obvious his intent.

Edited by WHarley3

I really don't have the energy to continue to address this complete and utter ignorance.

Again, what would have been the constructive outcome of that post? What "important points" were made? Where were the FACTS for discussion? Please, enlighten me. Because I really don't think you actually read that thread, or are reading a different thread then I am.

I've seen that issue come up on this forum before, and it always turns into a rantfest/bashfest. And I can take constructive criticism- when it comes from someone who actually is basing their criticism on FACTS and knows what they are talking about.

Well for starters I personally feel that the discussion of response or in this case over-response protocol is an important one. I do not believe it's your position to determine what's important. It is your job to determine what is appropriate and i agree there were comments that were not. my suggestion is to eliminate those comments rather than "kill" what could be a valuable discussion. Sorry if you don't see the value in that particular discussion. And, do not make yourself look ignorant by assuming I am. There is such a thing as over-moderating and it is also disrespectful to the opinions of contributing members.

While there are allot of productive threads here, there are a fare share that aren't productive. Talking about blue lights for the 4 trillionth time, or what light bar the State Troopers use don't do anything for me. Agency related issues are the same. If there is legitimate issues to discuss, we should discuss - and i think we do - but more often than not some interweb tough guy has to shoot it down. We all know and have talked about what Hatzolah does "wrong" and the fact they never seem to get in any trouble. Thats the way its been for years, nothing is likely to change. So rather then have something fester into a potential problem (i saw some things i could see ppl getting upset about in a previous hatzolah thread). I think the right move was made. People just have to think before they post :)

Edited by Goose

ONCE again, please answer my question and tell me how that thread could have been constructive and respectful? How could it have been a "valuable" discussion?

If you want to discuss "over-response", then start a thread on that. Don't post "I HATE HATZOLAH", that's not wanting to discuss "over response".

We're not overmoderating at all or determing "what is important"- you have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever- we're enforcing the general rules of this forum. You agreed to follow those when you registered. If you can't follow those rules, then there are consequences. DO NOT blame me for that!

I CANNOT DELETE THE FIRST POST OF THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!! That is the foundation of the discussion. And, I'm sure if I deleted it, you'd have an issue with that too.

I'm sick of hearing the whining from those who can't read or respect the rules of this forum, and those that want to stir the pot! Posting on here is a privledge- and if you decide to abuse that privlede, we're not going to let you get away with it. That wouldn't be fair to other members.

I everybody doesn't like this statement- but seriously, if I'm doing such a bad job and you think you can do better- go start your own site. I'm the one who built this site from scratch, and have put thousands of hours and dollars into it. I have been consistent since Day One that I wanted this to be a positive, constructive, and respectful place. No matter what I do, there's always complainers and people who like to stir the pot. I can't win.

Once again, since you're such an expert critic, please tell me how that thread could have had a constructive outcome? Also, why don't you tell the other members how the other threads on this issue have turned out?

By the way, SFD302, it's been brought to my attention that you're missing information required for a Verified Member. Until you provide that information, I'm revoking your Verified Membership. You want to disregard the rules and expect to get away with it. Nope.

I answered how I felt it could be constructive. People should be aware of the gross negligence and undermining that goes on with the aforementioned agency. People should also constantly be thinking of response protocol - how many time a day do we hear of MVAs with apparatus? And not to open a bigger can of worms than I already did but this is not the first time you have condemned a potentially credible discussion. Try condeming those among us who cannot keep it respectful.

By the way, SFD302, it's been brought to my attention that you're missing information required for a Verified Member. Until you provide that information, I'm revoking your Verified Membership. You want to disregard the rules and expect to get away with it. Nope.

hahahha...I knew you would. My point was just made clear.

People should be aware of the gross negligence and undermining that goes on with the aforementioned agency.

Then start your own website about it. Every agency has it's problems. This site isn't to rant about it, it's to come up with a solution to the problem. That wasn't going to happen on that thread, and that decision is based on my 4 years of moderating this forum.

hahahha...I knew you would. My point was just made clear.

YOU didn't comply with the terms of the Verified Member program. It was made aware to me via other members of this forum. Therefore, AS STATED, and as done to other members who don't comply with the terms, you lose your Verified Member status. How is it fair that I allow you to break the rules but not others?

YOU made MY point clear that it's your pure intent with this thread to bash me, this site, and stir the pot. Obviously, you did that just to taunt me. What did you expect to happen?

YOU didn't comply with the terms of the Verified Member program. Therefore, AS STATED, you lose your Verified Member status. How is it fair that I allow you to break the rules but not others?

YOU made MY point clear that it's your pure intent with this thread to bash me, this site, and stir the pot.

Enjoy your ability to point and click your problems away. I'll go sit in the corner. I've been a bad boy.

Enjoy your ability to point and click your problems away. I'll go sit in the corner. I've been a bad boy.

How am I "pointing and clicking" my problems away??? What is "my problem" that I'm pointing and clickiing away???? Am I not taking time to discuss this problem with you, not locking this thread, and not deleting it? Am I not consistent in what I am saying????

Again, you make no sense and you make no valid points, nor do you make any factual or truthful comments. Take your ignorance and distaste for this forum to the corner with you.

I'm tired of this bickering, and am sorry I wasted my time on it trying to educate you only for you to completly ignore what I am saying and taunt me- it's apparent that you had an agenda to cause trouble and wanted to ruffle my feathers. I played into it, and I regret it.

-Seth

You know I have Respect for you... With that said, maybe you should take a break from the site, I mean you just got married, and all this crap about bashing and curseing and everything else is getting to you. I'm sure people like DOC and Truck4 and X901 can take care of the site, you should enjoy what's going on in life, not be brought down by people who don't care about other's feelings here. That's just my oppinon.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02. The initial thread started with "I hate Hatzolla!" If that's not a bash I don't know what is. Seth is absolutely right on this. So if you feel like a persecuted soul, then go sit in the corner and stay there.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02. The initial thread started with "I hate Hatzolla!" If that's not a bash I don't know what is. Seth is absolutely right on this. So if you feel like a persecuted soul, then go sit in the corner and stay there.

DO I hear a 2nd!!! lol

-Seth

You know I have Respect for you... With that said, maybe you should take a break from the site, I mean you just got married, and all this crap about bashing and curseing and everything else is getting to you. I'm sure people like DOC and Truck4 and X901 can take care of the site, you should enjoy what's going on in life, not be brought down by people who don't care about other's feelings here. That's just my oppinon.

This site's my baby, and I love providing it, despite times like this which completly frusterate me. I feel obligated to the members like you, to provide a great site. The moderators do a great job and help me a ton, but I am addicted to this site and it's hard breaking away, although I do need to learn when to walk away, which sometimes is easier said by me then done, and I wish I could. It just bothers me that some people make things up and come to their own conclusions instead of asking me, or don't listen or acknnoledge what I have to say. Anyway, thanks for the support.

Just goes to show the lack of respect givin to those who run this site... If you don't like it here your free to go at anytime...

Well we are all here for you. No matter what.

Im sorry, but if your going to have an arguement, i believe that is something that should be done on more of a private plane as to not destroy the positive environment of the forum. This is a childish thread which both should be ashamed of for perpetuating.

Not to suck up or anything, but this is a really good, well devoped site from which many enjoy its use. And I would like to see it stay that way.

Edited by DCurtis

I agree with DCcurtis, this is all about nonproductive post's. This is clearly a nonproductive post and should be solved through private e-mail "BATTLES" And for this thread starter You should start your own web site...where you can talk about anything you want too how ever you want to and run it how ever you want too... This site has rules and regulations so just abide by them... This is all just my 2 cents. I dont post that often on here but def. read almost every post and try to gain as much info and knowledge that i can... If you are in a topic that gets shut down there was a reason, it must have broken some sort of site rule and was not being productive... So instead of starting an argument thread try starting a new thread about the same topic but try being more productive so maybe it will stay up... If then it turns into a non topic and just bashing........ the site admin. can see who starts the thread going sour and can deal with them PRIVATELY...

I hope this doent get shut down until people can read it....

This is truely a great web site. and unique there not many sites out there like this.... At some point they all turn into the same unproffesional talk , cursing and slamming everyone but yourself.....

Seth I dont know you personaly, but know people who know you (of course) and this site must take alot of work to keep it clean and NOT LIKE EVERY OTHER WEB SITE ON THE NET. Keep up the good work maintaining such a PROFFESIONAL style web site with up to date info and topics.

As a side note if you ever get fed up of all the bull. and shut this site down my wife would have to find something else to yell at me about... and i am starting to get used to saying "honey I'll be off in a minute"

Keep up the good work

I agree with Seth about 95% on this one. What I would suggest that the individual, who complained to EMTBravo about the deletion of the post, would be to start a New Post regarding the same subject/topic. HOWEVER, rather than having it start off as a BASH, title it with a Topic Thread that, contructively and professionally, gets to the root of the matter, have it focus on the issues that are relevent to the topic, focused on the relationship to Emergency Response, and constructive to this site. This way, others can also respond, professionally and maturely, with their constructive opinions. However, especially in this day and age, we don't need any "I Hates" anywhere. We all need to use this site as it was originally intended. As a forum to learn from each other, inform others, and enjoy the information, whether or not it is about New Life Saving Techniques, New Equipment Available, Information about a Specific Department, or Incidents that occured around Westchester County and the surrounding areas. I don't mind discussions about Light Bars or Color Schemes of Fire Trucks or even new releases of EMERGENCY on DVD. This is the fun aspect of this forum, that should never go away. But, we all need a little professionalism when dealing with and presenting topics for discussion on this GREAT SITE.

You know, it's not like he turned around and used any ethnic or racial slurs to describe that particular department. He simply addressed something that is known about them: they seem to play very fast and loose with the rules, which, ultimately will get someone killed. But then again, I'm assuming that since the topic starter didn't drink the magic EMTBravo-brand Kool-Aid, he's already at a disadvantage.