Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

WESCO Fire & Safety?

4 posts in this topic

In addition to my 30+ Gamewell Fire Alarm Boxes...

I just started collecting old Brass and Copper Fire Extinguishers.

For the young guys here, the real old Fire Extinguishers you had to turn upside down to work.

(Soda Acid)

I found a really old one in good condition the other day.

I am in the process of restoring it.

The TAG on the Fire Extinguisher says:

WESCO Fire & Safety Equipment Co. Inc.

22 Kaldenberg Place

Tarrytown, NY 10591

Serviced by: CG

Inspected on: 7/13/77

Anyone hear of them?

WESCO was the premiere firefighting business for years, in this area, going back to the 1950's, under the original ownership of Bernie Rosenblatt, North Tarrytown Fire Dept. Ex-chief and located at the corner of Valley Ave and Wildey St, Tarrytown.

Bernie relocated to Kaldenberg Place in the early 1970's, I believe, prior to selling the business and retiring. It remained open under the new ownership for some time, prior to going out of business eventually, sometime in the late 1980's, I believe.

All dates are approximate...recollections fade over time.....LOL

Before there were mobile cascade systems, they were the ones you brought your air bottles to to get them refilled.

The business was located next door to TarrytownFD Washington Engine on Kaldenberg Place.

syd your memory is pretty good

I worked a second job with WESCO for many years delivering equipment/filling extinbguishers. making fire inspection. Bernie had a repore with all the fire chiefs in westchester for many many years. we would go out in the middle of the night to refill 02 bottles/ and air packs.

WESCO was one of the first fire extinguisher business in the county/ they were one of the first to inspect the hood systems for kitchens. WESCO had the origional contract for HURST tools. I can remember clearly going to many department and doing demonstrations on the "new rescue tool" JAWS OF LIFE

thanks for letting me take a trip down memory lane

did the extinguisher have my initials ont he tag??