Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Top 25 signs you're a buff

46 posts in this topic

TOP 25 SIGNS YOU'RE A BUFF!

1. You can tell what type of fire it is by the smell of smoke 10 miles away.

2. You lay out your clothes from that day so if there is a call at night you can find

them quickly.

3. You have ever been airborne without an aircraft and water was your thrust.

4. You carry a ton of specially modified tools in your pocket that would rival a Swiss

army set.

5. You've ever clung to the air horn chord for dear life because the driver is insane.

6. You have ever played jingle bells at Xmas time on the air horns to clear traffic.

7. You have ever called a person found after a fire a "crispy critter".

8. You have ever stomped out a fire with your boots because you couldn't wait for water.

9. You have ever walked 3 miles into the woods in 100 degree heat in full turnout gear and

a water can strapped on your back just to put out a fire.

10. Your kids are afraid to get into water fights with you.

11. Your work gear makes you sound like Darth Vader.

12. You roll around in anything that just burned to make your new gear look old.

13. You carry enough in your car to extinguish a minor blaze.

14. Your own vehicle has more lights than a Christmas tree.

15. All the shirts you own say you are a firefighter.

16. If you have more pagers than money in your wallet.

17. If assembling a mile and a half of hose running up a hill to catch a fire is a good day.

18. The microwave goes off and you run out of the house thinking it was your pager.

19. If you have ever woken up thinking your pager went off and as you look at it, it does.

20. When you really think that rusty old hydrant will look good in the garden.

21. If you had to extricate someone by cutting the car doors off on one side and realized

there was nothing wrong with the doors on the other side.

22. If you have more toy fire trucks than your kids do.

23. You wash the fire truck more than your own car.

24. You own your own scott air pack.

25. You spend hours on EMTBravo.com (I just had too!) =D>

Well as for #2... I make sure im already wearing my response clothes when i go to bed to save a few extra seconds :wink:

Well as for #2... I make sure im already wearing my response clothes when i go to bed to save a few extra seconds

Or you can do like me and actually sleep in your response clothes...lol. The second the pager goes off, I grab the cell phone, pager, and keys, and im out....

Key is in the car already, and the bunkers are next to the bed. The tones drop, the bunkers are on and by the time the dispatch is done im in the car out the door and half dressed ! LOL

well I think im spending way to much time on emtbravo.

Key is in the car already, and the bunkers are next to the bed.  The tones drop, the bunkers are on and by the time the dispatch is done im in the car out the door and half dressed !  LOL

WOW....... I thought I was bad. lol :D

At that rate, might as well just sleep in the jump seat of the fire engine with all your gear already on. Saves gas on the trip to the fire house. :twisted:

Nice RWC, I see you modified the "rather be at the firehouse then get "some" like in the email. lol.

Never was a buff, but that confirmed it, more then half doesn't applly to me. I'm just a professional. I don't wear clothes to bed, I don't carry crap in my pockets, I don't need dirty gear to prove my worth or guts, I don't even get up to listen at times when my pager goes off, (work is a claxton), I don't have lights in my POV and I don't carry anything in my car other then my gear. And I'm certainly not stopping "getting some" to go anywhere and I'd rather chll with a woman then hang at the firehouse.

Haha. I once had an EMT (who is now a medic) who was definatly (and probably still is) a buff tell me that he would leave "getting some" WHILE "getting some" if the tones drop for a good call. Dude, SEEK HELP.

Vollies are professionals too  :wink:

That's absolutely right, DMA!

Vollies volunteer (we do the same but don't get paid)

career FF'S get paid

BUT we are all (for the most part) Professional

This business of referring to Career as "professional" and vollies as anything else SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMA, I never said anything to that effect.

The word professional can be used in several ways the one I used in my last post was a verb. I am a professional. I can however also use it in the noun sense, which is why career firefighters are referred to as professionals. The noun form definition is one whom gets paid to perform their occupation. Not trying to start a war, just having some intellectual conversation. I serve as both capacities before anyone whom doesn't know me personally wants to have a fit.

WAS, you know me well enough that there is no way in hell that would ever be me....lol

ALS I really wasn't necessarily faulting you, it's just that I have heard a lot of that "Professional/Volly nonsense over the years. Just making a point. Funny thing here is who's who on here I may or may not know you personally, but that's one of the great things about this site it the ability to keep relatively anonymous.

Same here ALS... As DOC said, just making the point. I know you're a volly, but it's the guys who take the job way too far and think they're much better because they're paid but it's really the same thing only different is a pay check.

Not trying to start a war :wink:

WHEN I GO TO BED AT NIGHT I REMEMBER OF ALL THE TIMES THT I HERE THE FIRE ALARM GOING OFF AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WHERE AND THEN I REMEMBET THE YOU SHOULD ALWAYS LAY SOMETHING OUT BECASUE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GET OUT THE DOOR QUICK SO THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING READY WHEN I KNOW THAT I AM GOING TO RESPOND AT NIGHT.

yea montrose fd you are a buff lol

yea i agree with a lot of them mostly number 25 on every chance i get nothing better then EMTBRAVO!!!!

Even know i am not a firefighter yet i still go to every call that there is with my father to give a hand cant wait till april till i can go on my own i am up out of bed any time that pager goes off get dress and out the door in a heart beat!!!!

#26... You know you're a buff when you wake up in the middle of a nap and start heading to the firehouse bc you feel a call... Your halfway there and the tones drop ! LOLOL

The greatest part is when you leave the firehouse and tell the other see you tonight at the call and when the night come you end up getting a call and then your friends want to kill you cause you mad them get out if bed for sayin it lol!!!

but that is good number 26 in is always in your blood you can just feel it!!!

For a fee, I will tell you all where DMA lives.

And last I heard, weren't you "SCBA Equipped" Dave?!

I'm a buff, but I have limits.

Limits Muns??? Are you serious :---)

You have created a clone 1/32 your size, you shall call him DMA 327!!

Ha. If that's number 26, then number 27 is -

You don't even bother carrying a pager because you spend all your free time at the firehouse anyway.

28 - You have mastered the ability to whistle your department's tones so well, that when you do it over a keyed mic, it sets off your pager.

Just for the record...The word "Limit" is not is 585's vocabulary.

AND some seem to think i am SCBA equipped, unfortunately im not

HAHAHAHAHA

# 29... You start yelling at the pager to go off... And then it does!