Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Capsized Boat in Hudson 9/15/07

7 posts in this topic

Hey that cop sounds familiar....hmmm....Great job fellas!

Couple rescued after boat capsizes near Tappan Zee Bridge

By JANE LERNER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 16, 2007)

NYACK - A Bronxville man celebrating his birthday and a female companion were pulled unhurt from the Hudson River yesterday afternoon after their sailboat capsized just north of the Tappan Zee bridge, police said.

The 18-foot vessel that launched from Nyack capsized in rough waters shortly before 4 p.m., police said.

After receiving a report from another boater that two people were clinging to the hull of an overturned sailboat, emergency boats from the Westchester County police, Yonkers police and Rockland Sheriff's Patrol went to the scene.

Two Westchester County Marine Unit officers, Detectives C.J. Westbrook and Thomas Camerino, spotted the couple opposite the Kingsland Point lighthouse.

The Westchester officers tossed a life ring to the female in the water and three Yonkers officers - Sgt. Richard Ackey, Officer Michael Messer and Officer Fred Quinones - threw a life ring to the man.Ken Thompson, who turned 43 yesterday, told police that the boat capsized after a sudden wind gust.

He and Colleen Wittrop, 36, also of Bronxville, declined medical attention. They were in the 70-degree water for 15 to 20 minutes, police said.

Both were taken to shore on the Nyack side of the river.

A towboat recovered the vessel and also brought it to the Nyack marina, police said.

I'm sure that Rich Ackey is gonna be thrilled when he reads this article!

His name is Robert Akey!

There is definitely something to be said for having boats on the water - they were able to respond directly to the hail on the marine emergency frequency and get there before anything untoward happened! Good job, all!

Anyone know what the water temperature is at this time of year???

According to the article 70 degrees

Thanks, I saw that after I posted the question. Duh for me!

That's pretty chilly water! Brrrrr.