Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hello All!

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself :)

I've been lurking here for about a month or two and decided to finally post something.

I am currently an NYPD Auxiliary PO and have been for the last 10 years. I am currently part of the Auxiliary APSU unit (Mini ESU) and am very happy here and get to see alot of action.

I have some past experience volunteering with Various VAS's including Harrison about 3 years back.

I currently live in the Bronx and would love to join up with another VAS ASAP. I miss it. I also would love to be a Vollie FF, but living in the Bronx kinda makes it difficult.

If anyone has any advice as to any VAS's or Vollie FD's that I can join while living in the Bronx? I'd be willing to travel up to Westchester or even Nassau LI.

Thanks all!

Welcome WILLDOGS!! As i don't really have any advice as to where you could volunteer, i'm sure there are plenty of people that would be more than willing to help you out. GOOD LUCK!

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself :)

I've been lurking here for about a month or two and decided to finally post something.

I am currently an NYPD Auxiliary PO and have been for the last 10 years. I am currently part of the Auxiliary APSU unit (Mini ESU) and am very happy here and get to see alot of action.

I have some past experience volunteering with Various VAS's including Harrison about 3 years back.

I currently live in the Bronx and would love to join up with another VAS ASAP. I miss it. I also would love to be a Vollie FF, but living in the Bronx kinda makes it difficult.

If anyone has any advice as to any VAS's or Vollie FD's that I can join while living in the Bronx? I'd be willing to travel up to Westchester or even Nassau LI.

Thanks all!

There are two vollie companies in the Bronx to volunteer at. The only one that has a clean record (to my own knowledge) is Edgewater Park VFD. They're at Main St. and Adee Dr. The other vollie company, Aviation, is wasting away and making all the other volunteer companies look bad. You can see what apparatus Edgewater drives Here. The site is Michael Martinelli's (not mine) and he has the best fire apparatus photography site out there (except for x635 of course)

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Aviation is not currently an active VFD (they have NO apparatus, NO house, and barley any members), and as stated earlier, is currently a hotbed of contention and scandal. Edgewater is the only other choice for a VFD in the BX, but last time I checked you have to be a resident of Edgwater to join. As for VAS, there are only two in the BX, Fordham EMS and Throggs Neck Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Fordham only accepts students. Throggs Neck is pretty low on members and always accepting applications (no real requirments i.e. being voted in etc..) Lower Westchester has Mammaroneck EMS and Larchmont Volunteer Ambulance Corps. That about covers it unless you've got any more questions...never heard of APSU....hows that work, what type of calls, how disptached?

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I know about the Bronx Vollies and VAS's but I reather look for something in Westchester or LI that residency is not a requirement.

AS far as APSU, Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYPD_Auxiliary_Police

Scroll down to Specialized units, you will see our patch there.

We use the exact same uniform as the regular ESU guys (Except our patches on the back and front state "NYPD Auxiliary Support Unit" instead of "NYPD Emergency Service Unit") and mainly assist them on different calls where they may need extra hands. MVA's, Pin Jobs, trees down, Medical Calls (as long as there is an EMT on board) etc.

Edited by WILLDOGS

Here is a picture that I found on Flickr of our uniform.

post-8816-1191857777.jpg

I was a member of Larchmont VAC a while back and we had at least one guy that lived in the Bronx.

It worked out OK because we had assigned Crew Duty Nights and the crew usually slept in the bunk room at night so that may be an option for you.

Give them a shout.

http://www.larchmontvac.org/