Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roeems87

Eastchester Fire 11/1 Discussion

17 posts in this topic

The always forgotten, yet always present, Eastchester VAC, and Eastchester Medic were also on scene. Eastchester Police on scene. 2103 and 2104 were also present. No injuries. All units clear about 21:30. C&O on scene.

two fires, 24 hours, hmmm. The other is not posted on here. It was at 2 Stoneleigh in Bronxville today at about 1:30 AM. Units 29, 27, 30, 16, 2102, 57-B2, 57-Medic1. Don't have enough details to make another post.

the early morning fire was apparently electrical in nature and occured in the bedroom. my brother works at EVAC and was there last night. thats all the info i know.

does anybody know if EVAC and Medic 1 was dispatched with the FD in the original run, or if they were requested by 2102 after the fact...

If you're referring to the second fire at the HS, EVAC was never requested at the fire--which I find interesting. Medic1 last night was also the chief of the corps, he contacted 60-Control informing them EVAC and the medic would be putting themselves on stand-by at the scene. It was a decision made almost right away, the captain was quite busy directing "traffic" at the fire. EVAC and the medic operated at first on the VHF frequency to keep the UHF clear for FD ops (for those of you who listened on the scanner).

If you're referring to the 0130 bedroom fire (the result of a electical blanket) then I am not sure when the VAC and medic were requested and dispatched. I am unaware of any injuries at that scene.

Shantz, I know your brother if your name on here is referring to your last name...I'm an EVAC person as well.

roe i'm EVAC too. as far as i know this is our first fire since we've switched to 60 control so thats why i was wondering if we were part of the initial call, and also how communications went...it would have been interesting if an EMS call had come in while FD had a working fire...its bound to happen sooner or later...

Roe, pudge would be him. im glad he spends more time up there at evac than he does at home since all he does anywhere is sit around. 8)

Yeah Rush, not sure who you are just yet...gimme some sort of hint...ha...

Yeah, Pudge and I both spend a good amount of time at the building. He more than I though. I am one of two people on the probe list that are on the sign in sheet...there's your hint, and my initials are RO...(just to have fun with this...ha)...

As for the first fire deal, actually the second. The first was the electrical one at 0130. Besides that though, there have been other dispatchs in the past for "structure fires" that turn out to be nothing. My opinion is that when the captain requests the third engine and the second truck (confirming the 10-75, "working fire" being on the scene), 60 should dispatch the bus and the medic as well. I am shocked, considering it was a fire reported in a school building--with people inside being evacuated--that there was no ambulance dispatch..

The communications I thought were excellent, though there wasn't much to go between agencies. Nothing was confused, and surprisingly there weren't many people stepping over eachother to speak on the radio...

That's all for now, I guess. All worked out, no injuries, as much as one may look for something "good," no one getting hurt is always better...

and surprisingly (for EFD, especially 17) there weren't many people stepping over eachother to speak on the radio...

Would you like to elaborate on this comment?

I was the first one on scene and the first one in on this fire. There are some discrepencies on this board and people should be careful about what they post

I agree with the bus and medic getting dispatched along with the third due engine. what surprised me more about the high school call last night though, was the fact that they toned out twice for FD. There was the tone then a period of silence lasting about 5 seconds. Then there was an 'open mic' (happens very often up in eastchester) for about 2 seconds. Then another delay of about 5 seconds and then 60 control toned out the FD again followed by the verbal location.

Also, it was good to see Eastchester Volunteer Firefighers on scene. I had almost forgotten they existed. (Although there may have been more Evac vollies there than fd vollies. im not quite sure)

as for you, RO, ive only been up to the building a handful of times and its usually to drop off crap that pudge forgot (he does that a lot). So chances are real good that i dont know you. speaking of pudge, he just went 10-86 at white plains.

no doubt in Eastchester the radio traffic tends to be high frequency (note: that's not just the FD, that's the VAC as well)...what that says, I'm not quite sure, nor did I mean anything by it. The question posed was about how the communications went with the first "real" fire while both EVAC and EFD were on the same frequency and dispatching...My point was that it was good and that there wasn't anyone stepping on top of eachother. The comment about being suprising is just to say that it is just that, SURPRISING, since it happens a lot around here, and with an ambulance, the medic, 3 FD supervisor vehicles, 4 engines, and 2 ladders, I was surprised that we didn't have anyone on top of eachother. It was a very well organized and executed fire scene.

To just be clear that there isn't anything hostile or anything that really needs defending that was said here, I'm one of your biggest fans on the EVAC-front, Billy...

Kevin's brother, I was at the fire (as were you) last night, we've met...I'll point myself out to you next time...

Hello All. Considering this is coming from the horses mouth, I was in fact present at both structure fire scenes.

2 Stoneleigh Plaza - Nature: Bedroom Fire caused by electric blanket. Eastchester VAC was requested by 2102 to respond to his location for an evaluation of two patient possibly overcome by smoke. The duty medic requested that all EMS units respond 10-20 to the scene. That's that!!!!!!!

2 Stewart Place - Eastchester HS - Nature: Structure Fire in Locker Room. 60 Control was contacted via landline by the VAC Captain to have a bus and the medic to respond for the standby. Protocol states that EMS should respond when a 10-75 is confirmed. Obviously, that did not happen! That's why they were contacted via landline. In order not to interfere with FD Operations, EVAC was directed to communicate all orders or requests on the VHF channel so that we do not interfere will Fire Ops. on the UHF Frequency

This is just for clarification purposes.

Later

Hope this helps out!

Nothing on there that was too surprising. I wonder how long the moderator will keep that last comment up, Capt. ha ha...

Besides that, everyone was there, the fires were put out, and no one (or at least very few--if any from that first one) was hurt. That's what's important...already said that...

I just like to stir the pot when I'm bored. Someone has to play devils advocate. As on any scene in Eastchester (as well as pretty much anywhere else) manpower was an issue and until it is addressed its a disaster waiting to happen. Its always nice to come out and see the crew from EVAC outside (busting my balls no less)

As all of you know, we love Billy Weigelmann. He's one of the best firefighters that EFD has. And as always, EVAC loves to bust chops as Bill has stated.

If EVAC wasn't busting chops, what else would we be doing? Other than that whole EMS thing...

But a better question is this: if EVAC wasn't busting chops again, what would EFD be doing? Oh right, they will be busy with EMS, too... kidding, again, of course...

Perhaps there needs to be some more "pot stirring"...

Was there really a strong need for more man power at the EHS fire? I remember from the Dante Ave. one, for a while there was a desperate need for "more man power," but I don't remember it so much from the other night.