Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD233

Posting Photos of Incidents

11 posts in this topic

Just curious on what policies everyones Fire Depts have for posting photos taken at fire and serious accidents. (Not just this web site)

Posting a image such as a car mangled and a body lying right next to it. If someones family gets a hold of this I would imagine it would lead to a whole lot of trouble. Now on the fire side you see a suspcious fire posted on the internet with numerous photos. Is this harmless or asking for trouble?

Edited by SPFC56-233

What is in public view is in public view, even if it is captured on "film". There is no law saying you can't take pictures of crimes, however the photographer should use ethics to determine if they should post the picture or wait til the investigating agency has issued a press release. You should also be ready to testify about the photos you took...you never know what you may have gotten that could be used later on either end of a trial.

What is in public view is in public view, even if it is captured on "film". There is no law saying you can't take pictures of crimes, however the photographer should use ethics to determine if they should post the picture or wait til the investigating agency has issued a press release. You should also be ready to testify about the photos you took...you never know what you may have gotten that could be used later on either end of a trial.

If used for commercial purposes (and that can be tough to define), there may be issues associated with the "models" rights and privileges.

Someone I know had to be compensated for his "likeness" being caught on a TV show filmed in NYC. He wasn't clearly visible and his "likeness" wasn't on for more than a few seconds but those are the rules in that game.

Commercial purpose = different set of rules.

If you're acting in an "official capacity" your photos could and probably would be considered Rosario material and could be brought into court along with your testimony. Not that there's anything wrong with all that but like stated before, think about ethics and professionalism and like I stated in another post, consider if it was your family member or house and think about what pictures you want floating around out there.

Thanks for the input.

I know that every department is different, but in my department there is no picture taking at scenes without the Chief of the departments aprroval unless it is for investigation purpose. The way I look at it is, if your a firefighter or an EMT then why is a camera in your hand at major fires or accidents...you should be doing your job helping your brothers and sisters at the scene doing what you joined your department for and not walking around taking pictures!!!!

As far as a "Major Fire" is concerned, I keep a camera in the Glove Box of the 1st due Engine at all times. When pulling up on a scene of a Structure Fire, If possible, I try to snap off a few quick ones to capture the condition of the fire on our arrival. This can be later used in a critique or even aid the Fire Investigation Team in determining the cause.

Point being, It is not a bad thing to have a camera on the rig. In My Own opinion.

I know that every department is different, but in my department there is no picture taking at scenes without the Chief of the departments aprroval unless it is for investigation purpose. The way I look at it is, if your a firefighter or an EMT then why is a camera in your hand at major fires or accidents...you should be doing your job helping your brothers and sisters at the scene doing what you joined your department for and not walking around taking pictures!!!!

Now THAT was well said!

Does that mean I shouldn't bother showing up at your incidents ??????? :o

Does that mean I shouldn't bother showing up at your incidents ??????? :o

I have no problem with members of other departments coming to fires or accidents to take pictures...my problem is when your own firefighters or EMTs are snapping pictures at calls when they should be working......TCD0415 we also carry cameras in all our first due rigs and some chief vehicles to snap acouple of pictures for the fire investigation unit..but to be honest..when I pull up to a major incident, im not thinking about snapping pictures, im thinking about the job at hand and handing assignments out to my guys but it is still a good point!

Well, if you are supposed to be working, then you shouldn't be taking photos of the scene, you should be doing your job! That would be where ethics come into play!