Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Croton Falls Engine

3 posts in this topic

I found this on firepics.net. I remember it but can't remember if it was designated an engine or Mini-Attack. i know DOC22 can help us out. I love that they kept the CFFD door mural. Credit to the original photographer, maybe "1949ALF"?

post-17-1194001653.jpg

From what I remember it was a Beam pumper equiped with a high pressure pump powered by a v12 gas engine. It was I believe designated an engine, either E147, 148 or 149.

Ok, This is a bit of a challenge to my memory. Back in the day, I'm talking late sixties, we had 3 pumpers. E 147, 148, 149.

147 was a1939 Ward La France, 148 was a 1948 Ward, and 149 was a John Bean Gmc High Pressure only. Actually prior to the renumbering done by Westcheater County, they were Engines 136-1939 Ward, 150-1948 Ward, and 168-the white Bean which was kept in a bay at the Highway Garage until the early seventies when the North Salem Station was built. The snub nose was a 1964-66 (can't remember exact year) GMC Pumper with the Bean pump and the V-12 that Fire2141 refers to. When we got it the 39 Ward was still in service, for a short time, so it was actually E 227. It ultimately replaced 147. Then came two generic GMC twins with the Bean pumps. And, what is in the photo, is one of the two generics (148&149). On a side note, the white colored GMC, was actually donated by the North Salem Salem Center Village Improvement Society.

I hope this helps.