Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

Ambulance Taxi

6 posts in this topic

Maybe some day before I retire it will come to NY.

Doubtful. NYS EMS seems to move backwards. Bottom line - people will continue to call for the dumbest things... but you create a huge liability by not sending an ambulance if they request one.

What I think we should concentrate on is prioritizing calls based on Emergency Medical Dispatch protocols.

Let me explain:

Caller X dials 911 reporting they have fell two days ago, and have been having hand pain since. Caller X is asked a series of questions by the Emergency Medical Dispatcher which would appear either on the computer screen or via the EMD card set. The questions are approved by a Doctor who serves as medical control. Based on the questions asked, lets say the caller has no priority symptoms (ie. no diff breathing, chest pain or hemorage) So the call would be classified as BLS. Now, based on YOUR agencies S.O.P.s you could dispatch a BLS ambulance only. Which would leave your medic available for a call with "priority symptoms".

Although this still technically taxes the system...it leaves your medic available...so he’s not tied up responding to a hand injury from 2 days ago.

But....

This would require that agencies step up and realize they are sending unnecessary resources to a non-priority call.

And...that EMT's become less medic dependant. YOU DO NOT NEED A MEDIC ON EVERY CALL! I don't know how many times I hear; "I’m just going to have the medic continue in to check him out." This needs to stop...ASSESS your patient!

And...whats up with agencies responding to obvious BLS calls "driver only" and either requesting or relying on the medic to ride it in?!?! If it’s an obvious BLS call...why tie up the medic? Someone may actually need him!! If you can't handle the run, go mutual aid...or better yet; insure staffing some other way! Stop using band-aids to cover a GSW! :angry:

I’m done. DEEP BREATH!

What I think we should concentrate on is prioritizing calls based on Emergency Medical Dispatch protocols.

Let me explain:

Caller X dials 911 reporting they have fell two days ago, and have been having hand pain since. Caller X is asked a series of questions by the Emergency Medical Dispatcher which would appear either on the computer screen or via the EMD card set. The questions are approved by a Doctor who serves as medical control. Based on the questions asked, lets say the caller has no priority symptoms (ie. no diff breathing, chest pain or hemorage) So the call would be classified as BLS. Now, based on YOUR agencies S.O.P.s you could dispatch a BLS ambulance only. Which would leave your medic available for a call with "priority symptoms".

Although this still technically taxes the system...it leaves your medic available...so he’s not tied up responding to a hand injury from 2 days ago.

But....

This would require that agencies step up and realize they are sending unnecessary resources to a non-priority call.

And...that EMT's become less medic dependant. YOU DO NOT NEED A MEDIC ON EVERY CALL! I don't know how many times I hear; "I’m just going to have the medic continue in to check him out." This needs to stop...ASSESS your patient!

And...whats up with agencies responding to obvious BLS calls "driver only" and either requesting or relying on the medic to ride it in?!?! If it’s an obvious BLS call...why tie up the medic? Someone may actually need him!! If you can't handle the run, go mutual aid...or better yet; insure staffing some other way! Stop using band-aids to cover a GSW! :angry:

I’m done. DEEP BREATH!

Dutchess does this. There are plenty of agencies that dispatch a BLS ambulance to low priority calls. Coincidently, these same agencies often cancel their Medic en route.

Danger knows all about Ambullete Taxis ;)

BLS = Basic Limo Service..

Unfortunately our Medicare system won't pay $20 for a taxi to a dr's appt, but will pay $400.00 to drive them to the ER..

I am sure many of you have gone to a call, to find the person walking to the ambulance carrying an overnite bag!!!! Meanwhile you just risked your crews life even responding non-emergency to someone that could hop in a cab.. in the case of many area departments, removing the closest ems agency, to a serious call if one occurs.

I am glad the citizens of Cleavland can afford $100,000 taxis, but the rest of us think it is waste of taxpayer money.

And...that EMT's become less medic dependent. YOU DO NOT NEED A MEDIC ON EVERY CALL! I don't know how many times I hear; "I’m just going to have the medic continue in to check him out." This needs to stop...ASSESS your patient!

I totally agree with you 20Truck! EMT's Dependant get spoiled by the medics coming in and doing their jobs for them. Many of today's EMT's need to get off their a** and do what they are trained to do! In real life, a medic is not always going to be there. What makes it worse is the EMT's who basically on drive the medic to the hospital (paid services). I have however seen a trend that the medic is making the EMT assess first (unless obvious ALS) That's good, they need to learn.