Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone have a Type I Ambulance?

13 posts in this topic

just wondering if any vac in the area has a type I ambulance (the pick-up chasis)? if so could you mention the +/- of it?

also, does anyone have a GAS engine on their box ambulance??

Edited by vacguy

Drive one everyday down in the Bronx. I wouldn't trade it in for a type lll any day. I've got alot more cab room especially with the MDT and radios. You lose a little in the turning radius and have to creep out a bit more carefully into intersections, but the extra safety afforded by having all that mass out in front of you is a great bonus.

We have 2 Type 1 buses, but they are on International chassis instead of the pickup truck chassis. I love them. Warwick (NY) VAC has a Type 1 on the F-450 chassis and I have been told that they love it.

We have one (55B1) and I think every single one of us hates using it. It sits on a Ford F-Super Duty chasis, the ride is bumpy as hell, lifting the patient has actually caused several back injuries to crew, PD and FD personnel. We want to get rid of it in the worst way and hopefully we succeed soon. Additionally, our Medics DESPIZE this ambulance.

Here's a photo of it:

post-34-1195565263.jpg

FDNY EMS uses type1 ambulances. Very roomy in front with lots of space for radios, computers, etc. The box is also very roomy and provides a good working space. The only drawback is the bumpy ride. Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan has some type 3 ambulances which are gas. They are much quieter and have better pick up.

union vale has 2of them 67-71 a 1997 ford and 67-72 a 2002 ford the also have a 05 ford rescue from sutphen 67-51

roosevelt also has one 6371 and arlington has one here is some pics of all of them .

post-6811-1195686823.jpg

post-6811-1195686950.jpg

post-6811-1195687030.jpg

post-6811-1195687097.jpg

post-6811-1195687134.jpg

The Arlington type 1 is a spare aka 32-74. 32-71,72 and 73 are all type 3.

I never had a problem with the type I I operated years ago. As someone said you had to watch your turns and getting into intersections but I loved the roominess of it. I never noticed ours to be any bumpier then the type 2 and 3's I was in also. The only thing that sucked was you often had to double park it to run into anywhere because you needed more room to parallel park the thing. But then again who didn't on Arthur Ave. anyway..lol.

We run 7 type 1s and 2 type 3s.

The pros of type 1s are:

• More room for the crew & computer equipment up front.
  • Crews like the seating better especially when they sit in it for 8-16 hours a day
  • Safer to have more mass in front of you
  • Easier to maintain
  • The new units tend to sit almost as high as the type 3s so the sight advantage are almost equal now

The con is that the ride is not as smooth a type 3

Hope that helps

A few have mentioned a smoother ride in a type 3. Could that be a difference in manufacturer. I've noticed that the Chevys all ride smoother than a Ford but I didn't notice a real difference between the two Chevys.

I think you can't even begin to compare the ride in our old type 1 to our new type 3 . The big thing in ours is that it is set up alot better than the older ones, the ride is %110 better and the repeat patients have let us know. They are set on the R.V. chassie. Those bumps on Jefferson st. and Lincloln ave. on the way to Vassar aren't that bad anymore.

post-4288-1195855190.jpg

When I first started in EMS, Peekskill VAC had 2 type 1's. Both were chevy's I am pretty sure. Loved em, only drawback was you couldn't walk through from the cab to the box...just a little window...

I prefer a simple van ambulance, straight and narrow! I always found it easier to get to things and remain seated...However we only had 1 radio and no MDT in the front so I can't comment on comfortability.