Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT410

FF1 & FF2

7 posts in this topic

What is the law for a professional FF if they fail FF1 & FF2? Can the Dept keep them on the job or do they have to be terminated?

Anybody know?

I do not believe there is a law that requires career firefighters to pass FF1 or FF2. There is a law that requires firefighters to complete 229 hours of training within the fire year of employment. I got the following from the Westchester Career Academy's site. It reads as dollows:

"The work and instruction that is provided in this program is mandated by the New York state general municipal law §209-w which requires all newly appointed firefighters receive a minimum of 229 hours of training in specific subject areas. Included in the framework is the C-Pat (Candidate-Physical Agility Test) which each candidate must pass within 18 months of their hiring date."

the web site is as follows: http://www.westchestergov.com/emergserv/Academy/academy.htm

Hope this helps.

NY is a home rule state so much of the requirements are left up to the municipality/fire district. It also depends on what you referring to in regard to FF 1 and FF 2. If you speaking of national certification testing, that is a AHJ decision on requirement. If anything, most academies give testing throughout their program and have their list of requirements you must maintain and meet. If you don't then you fail the academy. It is then up to the AHJ to make the decision to fire or allow another run at the academy.

Curious I know of 3 just out of the academy that did not pass 1 and 2. I know they have to take it again so I was wondering what will happen if they fail again.

unless there is something in the contracts or in the job requirements-- passing national certification is not part of the 229hours required bythe State of New york

Passing CPAT is a requirement however.

It is not a state law to have FF1 and FF2 however I had a couple departments in my academy that required their recruits to pass them. If they did not pass they were fired that day. These departments were from western new york.