Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest partyrock

Alarm Assignments

7 posts in this topic

I noticed recently a few depts with multi alarm fires where on the next alarm they were getting only a engine or two and a ladder. On the 75 they were loading out several engines, a couple of trucks, and a rescue. What does your dept do? Is there an established assignment for additional alarms or is it up to the IC to request units as needed? Also are there certain instances that get additional alarms? For instance, does extension to an exposure get an additional alarm or just an extra engine? FDNY's isn't the simplest, but the nuts and bolts of it is...

10-75 All Hands (working fire, everyone going to work) - 4 engines, 3 ladders, Rescue, Squad, FAST, and 2 battalion chiefs, and RAC unit

2nd Alarm - 4 engines, 2 ladders, 2 battalion chiefs, deputy chief, Satellite, safety battalion, and soc battalion.

Additional alarms get 4 engines, 2 ladders, and a battalion chief.

There are also responses for high rise fires, collapses, lost or entrapped firefighters, etc. But for now I'm really just curios abut structure fires.

You would get the DC if the operation was 'Doubtful' on the all-hands signal.

Initial response to a possible structure fire for us is a Full Department Response:

3 Engines

1 Tower Ladder

1 Rescue

1 Tanker (where needed)

On a working fire:

1 M/A FAST

1 M/A Cascade unit

3 M/A Tankers (where needed)

2 BLS ambulances (1 M/A) (One for transport if needed, other on standby for US.)

1 ALS unit

Cause & Origin Team

1 Battalion

On a second alarm:

1 M/A Engine

1 M/A Ladder

1 M/A FAST (either to replace or supplement the first)

2 M/A Tankers (where needed)

1 Rehab unit (Red Cross or Salvation Army)

Relocated into district for coverage is 1 & 1 plus 1 ambulance, all Mutual Aid.

Edited by Remember585

My department used to be two engines, the ladder and our rescue-squad but have recently changed "box" assignments to 3, 1 & 1.

Our second alarm brings the two other engine sin my city (we have 5) to the scene and a mutual aid truck. As for higher its usually 1 & 1 unless there is a need for special requests of other apparatus.

Standard Box Alarm:

2 Engines

1 rescue

1 BLS rig

2 tankers (unless more needed)

For a confirmed fire:

3 engines (paid)

1 Truck

1 A/C

1 saftey officer

1 medic

1 amb.

1 lighting and air

2 volunteer engines

tankers as needed

YKS 4 E, 2L, Rescue (reported fires), Safety Batt, A/C (B1 or B2)

2nd alarm: 2E, 1L, 2nd Batt., Deputy on call, Fire Control officer to 911 center

3rd alarm: 2E, 1L

4th alarm: 2E, 1L, 3rd (recalled battalion) if required

5th alarm: Remaining Co's 1E, 1L and any m/a if required

M/A usually called into City stations on 3rd alarm per Battalion/Deputy recommendations.

M/A responds to Sta 1, Sta 12, and Sta 13 where Guides are set up.

When Oak St or Bronx River Rd goes up we tend to get a full FDNY Battalion as mutual aid as well as normal mutual aid plan!

Edited post correction by one of My Bosses...thanks Car 2...I don't have enough practice!

Edited by Oswegowind