Followers 0
PVFD233

Man Holds Record For Being Thrown By Car

3 posts in this topic

from wnem.com

Man Holds Record For Being Thrown By Car

Pittsburgh Man Thrown 118 Feet In 2001 Accident

POSTED: 11:06 am EST December 8, 2007

CONNELLSVILLE, Pa. -- It's a record nobody wants to top.

Pittsburgh volunteer paramedic Matthew McKnight holds the newly-recognized Guinness record for "Greatest Distance Thrown in a Car Accident."

The 2008 Guinness World Records book honors the 29-year-old McKnight for living to tell about being thrown 118 feet after being hit by a car. McKnight was standing along a highway about 15 miles east of Pittsburgh on Oct. 26, 2001, helping victims of a car wreck when he was hit by a car doing 70 mph.

He suffered two dislocated shoulders plus a broken shoulder, pelvis, leg and tailbone. His injuries put him in the hospital for two weeks, followed by 80 days in rehab, before returning to work in April 2002.

McKnight's emergency room physician, Dr. Eric Brader, submitted paperwork for the record, which Guinness recognized in 2003. It was not listed in the book until the 2008 edition, however.

"I thought it was a big joke. Dr. Brader is known for joking around a lot," McKnight told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "But when he brought (the paperwork) to me, I saw how serious he was."

For someone reason I dont think anyone wants to break this record :blink: .

I am thinking the same thing not a record I want to try and break. Good to see he was alive after that happened.

My fire company Monroeville Fire Co. #5 was first due to this call. www.mvfd5.com

It started with a MVC east bound on Interstate I376 w/ 2 people trapped in an overturned pick up. When we arrived there were bystabders aiding the injured victims. One was trapped under the pick up. Other in the pick up.

As we were setting up ems & rescue services, Matt (being a bystander aiding the victims), was struck by a drunk driver. This was witnessed by all on scene. Our crews immediately changed direction, split crews, called for mutiple ems units, and worked to aid him. Several of our members were almost hit by that trcuk but were able to move out of the way. Our quick actions, tranport to the local trauma center, and his will & drive to survive saved his life.

Since that incident. We immidiately close 2 of the 3 lanes of the interstate so we can work in a safe environment. We use blockers and our town police respond as blockers also.

If you look on our website under archives there might be a story about it.

Remember.. STAY SAFE.. USE BLOCKERS.. WEAR VESTS.. STAY ALERT !!!

Edited by ldrco195