Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Encountering an incident during a response...

Stop or Continue to Original Call   35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stop at the accident or continue to the fire call?

• STOP at the accident scene and notify dispatch
    • CONTINUE to the fire call and notify dispatch of the accident

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

There was a lively discussion earlier this year about the proper course of action if you came upon an accident with injuries/extrication while responding to a fire call. There were those who felt they should pass the accident to continue on to the fire call citing the possibility of a structure fire as more seroius than the accident.

I'd like to revisit that discussion given the recent events in Baltimore and ask the following question: Do those of you who believe that you should pass the accident to take in the fire call think that Engine 29 did the wrong thing by stopping at Truck 27's accident? Listening to the radio transmissions from that morning, the response to the fire call was immediately covered with additional apparatus and more units were also dispatched to the accident. Isn't that the same way it would happen here?

The original thread and Baltimore threads are proivded below:

Thread on the Baltimore accident involving Truck 27.

Thread on stopping at an accident during a response to a fire call.

Radio traffic from Baltimore FD

Before anyone starts with me about this being inappropriate - this topic has nothing at all to do with the Baltimore accident. The tragic accident that Truck 27 was involved in only highlights a point that was made in the earlier discussion and is being used to emphasize one viewpoint as an example - not as criticism!

Edited by Chris192

E29 was definitely in the right. Thats the most responsible thing to do.

NICE CALM DISPATCHING , GREAT COVERAGE FOR THE OOS. TRUCK THEY KNEW WHO TO GET ROLLING IN PLACE OF THEM DYNAMITE CONTROL OF AN UNFORTUNATE SITUATION

Great job by the Baltimore Dispatchers. Made the necessary moves to cover and got help to the accident scene quickly. The guys from BCFD did the right thing.

STOP at the accident scene and notify dispatch

I'd never leave an MOS, any MOS..... EVER!!

STOP at the accident scene and notify dispatch

I'd never leave an MOS, any MOS..... EVER!!

Agreed - without question! But do we also stop if its two civilian vehicles that bounce off each other???

And I agree that all the parties involved did an exceptional job communicating!

Agreed - without question! But do we also stop if its two civilian vehicles that bounce off each other???

And I agree that all the parties involved did an exceptional job communicating!

Stop, assess for injuries, notify dispatch and if OK to do so, continue as dispatched.

Stop, assess for injuries, notify dispatch and if OK to do so, continue as dispatched.

Exactly what I would do. I would definately NOT pass by and not offer help, but if the call we were responding to is a decent size job they will need everything they can get. So...Stop at the accident, do a triage of patients, if all is well and dispatch is advising to proceed to initial alarm than do so. The worst scenario is you stay on scene to render aid/extricate untill other units arrive, than you proceed to initial alarm in needed. Atleast wait untill ambulance gets there, give report and proceed.