Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ndemarse

Westchester County Academy/Instructors

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the area (about a year), and I was wondering if there is a Westchester training academy or if the departments just fend for themselves for drilling and training. I think that Rockland has one, but curious on Westchester.

Any info/website address would help.

Thanks

Nate DeMarse

Yes there is a Westchester Fire Training Center-

It is located at 4 Dana Rd in Valhalla. The facilitiy was first constructed in 1974, and has had improvements since, and just lately approved to have another addition and improvments.

Westchester also runs a career firefighter academy twice a year. This is sponsored by the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control

The County currently employs 44 instructors. Who teach NYS OFPC courses as well as County courses, that an instructor can develop from his or her own expertises. These CFI's (County Fire Instructors) also run the training center and assist all 58 departments in Westchester, when they use the facility.

There are also 2 sattalite training centers (classrooms only) at the Town of Mamaroneck FD and the Katonah FD. We also utilize the NYS Fire Academy Annex, located at Camp Smith in Peekskill (also in Westchester)

During the course of 2004- Westchester Instructors have taught/ or are currently running 11 Firefighter I courses- more than any other county in the State!

Check out the website:

http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/emergserv/training.htm