Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danger

Mechanical Ventilation vs. Manual

9 posts in this topic

I like the way they vented that window with the ladder. I can see it being beneficial, that you arent putting someone in danger by putting them on a ladder to do the same thing. I dont really see this catching on in depts around here due to the fact that most of the aerials have quartz lights, speakers, creeper controls mounted near the tip. I think that many dept officials ie. commishioners, trustees... would frown upon the fact that their 3/4 million ladder truck is being used for something that could be done differently, don't get me wrong, if it was up to me, I would do it hands down.

Edited by DOC22

I've seen that done a few times, not a bad idea.

Could you imagine how funny it would be to watch some buckets trying to do the same thing? Jeesh!

I've seen that done a few times, not a bad idea.

Could you imagine how funny it would be to watch some buckets trying to do the same thing? Jeesh!

It would have to be a VERY big window.

It would have to be a VERY big window.

I once heard of an Aerialscope knocking out a patio door. :blink: *Pauses for shock that someone would actually ruin a fine aerialscope doing that*

.....well, I've heard of it happening, I've never seen it, and all I have is some words off the internet.

Mike

That video is exactly why our ladder tips are free from all that junk.

we just had a rep in to train us on our new ALF truck, he stressed very clearly that if you damage the TOP RAIL (hand rail)OF THE LADDER YOU RISK THE INTEGRITY OF THE WHOLE LADDER DUE TO ITS TRUSS CONSTRUCTION. That being said we ordered our ladders with a replacable tip section ( notice i didnt use the words breakaway) just for the reason of mech ventilation the most you should damage is the tip section.

While on my rant remember it is very important that you leave the ladder off the roof or parapet about a foot in other words cantilevered let the weight of the firefighters bring the ladder down closer.

Using the ladder to take windows is just another good tool to have in your toolbox. It can be benificial in instances where it would be a tough place to vent like the attic of a PD the South Jamacia trucks are real good at this thing. Also for brownstones the chauffeur can take the top floor windows and then accend the aerial to search. This is good becuase it gives the room a chance to vent and potential light up while the chauffeur climbs up, this way he gets a chance to make a decision whether it is safe to make entry. Lets face it the windows of today are a lot more difficult to vent,and its not uncommon to have the halligan on the rope bounce off the window these days. The rules the FDNY imposes are raise the tip to the top pane and then lower it to break both panes and the sash, never use lateral movement. Like the previous poster stated the FDNY is now using replacable tips which should be noted because you should not use the upper replacable section (top 7' on the new seagraves) as a tie off point.