Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

1 post in this topic

I know this happens alot on Long Island. Mechanics, Secretaries, Janitors, Etc. All stop doing their jobs when a call is recieved. What are the qualifications to apply for or be hired in one of these positions? Are fire or EMS certifcations taken into account? If so, what does that have to do with the ability to fill the job description of the above titles? Is having a Janitor or Mechanic a way to keep pride and egoes intact at a department that proudly proclaims themselves to be "100% Volunteer?"

Employees- do you work one of these jobs? What is your input? Do you have SUFFICIENT, QUALIFIED manpower on daytime calls if you respond? Or are you on your own? What is your compensation package? (Pay, Benefits, Retirement?)

We all read the Expose on Long Island, and we see the whole state being affected because of irresponsible spending. (GASB45, etc.)

Comissioners- what is your rationale behind employing for such a position? Is it to prevent a tax hike? Financial hardship? What is the bottom line? or is it to make sure there is money for SCUBA Training in the Bahamas, Race Teams, New Rigs, Huge Firehalls, etc.?

I guess all I want to know is:

1. Is this TRUELY legal?

2. Does it really improve a troubled department's response?

I'm not worried about unions, who is paid or volunteer, pride, politics, egoes, etc. All I see here is something that amounts to more fiscal irrespinsibility, just like we discussed in "Paying the Rent." Our responsibility to our taxpayers is to provide the best service for the best price. Are we doing that by hiring for these part time positions?

How many janitors does it take to operate tower ladder 53 ?