Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PDBuff3090

Radios-Motorola Saber still in use?

8 posts in this topic

How many departments out there still use Motorola Saber radios?

I believe we use the newer Motorola Monitor V radio and pager system,

I'll have to check and see what we used to have

Minitor V's are pager, Sabers are two-way radios.

Most departments have switched to what seems like Motorola HT1000 or HT1250 portable radios and it seems like most are using Kenwood mobiles for low-band communications.

Of course, though, there is all kinds of radios out there so there will be dozens of answers to this question!

I don't know of any local FD's that use/used Sabers (Except FDNY I think used some)...... They were the "Cadillac" of portables and were quite a bit more expensive than the HT/MT's which is why they were not popular with the FD's... And the Sabers don't do Low-Band..... I have had my own Saber III UHF for years but I presently use a HT1250 instead because it preforms better than the Saber.......... The Saber is really a neat looking radio and it's modular construction is pretty cool too.... It was the radio of choice for Federal agencies such as the FBI, SS, etc but today if they are using Sabers, they are Astro Sabers....

Yonkers PD used to use them, but i'm not sure if they still do. FDNY medics also had them.

Yonkers PD used the ASTRO Saber..

If FDNY has any Sabers left they are far and few. EMS might still have some ASTRO Sabers in storage for Special Events and Mutal Aide.

Its all XTS now. Although a few 800 radios are still astro saber's. The 800's are 3000's and 480's are 3500r's. I have seen a few 5000 800's laying around. All my fed friends have 5000's. No more support for Sabers really available anymore. They WERE only useful before the digital scanners came out. Now its just a paper weight, and a lethal one at that!

Yonkers PD used to use them, but i'm not sure if they still do. FDNY medics also had them.

Saber's were cool looking...still see some around on people and in the PCT's in YKS...

Now we have all XTS...2000's to fully capable 5000's.