Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Does Anyone Remember WNYC's FDNY "On The Job" TV Show?

5 posts in this topic

Many years ago, probably early 80's I guess, when my parents first got cable tv in Mount Vernon, there was a show on the old WNYC tv channel about the FDNY. It was a half hour show on about once a week hosted by a fire chief that involved training videos and interviews. I think it was called "ON the Job"?? My brother and I loved watching this show when we were kids because it usually had some good videos from fires around the city.

Does anyone else remember this show? Does FDNY still produce any programs like this?

Many years ago, probably early 80's I guess, when my parents first got cable tv in Mount Vernon, there was a show on the old WNYC tv channel about the FDNY. It was a half hour show on about once a week hosted by a fire chief that involved training videos and interviews. I think it was called "ON the Job"?? My brother and I loved watching this show when we were kids because it usually had some good videos from fires around the city.

Does anyone else remember this show? Does FDNY still produce any programs like this?

ON THE JOB

IT WAS A SHOW ON,I BELIEVE CHANNEL 31 AND IT WAS NECESSARY AT LEAST IN MY CASE TO DO ALL SORTS OF ANTENNA MANUVERS. IT HAD FILM FOOTAGE AND OFTEN PANELS SPEAKING ON OPERATIONAL TOPICS OR CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT JOHN O'HAGAN ANSWERING QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF DIFFERENT RANKS AND DIFFERENT COMMANDS (THAT HAD THE INGEDIENT FOR EXCITEMENT),

I BELIEVE OUR OWN DICK NAGLE WAS THE HOST OF MANY OF THESE SHOWS.

WITH ALL THE PUBLIC ACESS CHANNELS OUT THERE TOO BAD SOMETHING LIKE THAT COULDN'T COME BACK, EVEN IN WESTCHESTER,SPEARHEADED BY EMERGENCY SERVICES.

Snotty has the information correct with a few additions. The show was called "On the Job" and most of them were hosted by FF Dick Nagle long before he went on to bigger and better things. The show was on UHF Channel 31, WNYC and required a special converter cause back then you only had 13 channels. The program was on at 1 PM and repeated again at 6:60 PM and was on a couple of times each week. Mount Vernon FD installed the converters in all stations and the program became part of our drill schedule as it probably did for other smaller departments that were within range of the UHF broadcast.

It provided lots of valuable information to those of us in the fire service at the time.

IT WAS A SHOW ON,I BELIEVE CHANNEL 31 AND IT WAS NECESSARY AT LEAST IN MY CASE TO DO ALL SORTS OF ANTENNA MANUVERS. IT HAD FILM FOOTAGE AND OFTEN PANELS SPEAKING ON OPERATIONAL TOPICS OR CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT JOHN O'HAGAN ANSWERING QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF DIFFERENT RANKS AND DIFFERENT COMMANDS (THAT HAD THE INGEDIENT FOR EXCITEMENT),

I BELIEVE OUR OWN DICK NAGLE WAS THE HOST OF MANY OF THESE SHOWS.

WITH ALL THE PUBLIC ACESS CHANNELS OUT THERE TOO BAD SOMETHING LIKE THAT COULDN'T COME BACK, EVEN IN WESTCHESTER,SPEARHEADED BY EMERGENCY SERVICES.

That's right!! Dick Nagle was the host! I had forgotten that!

You bring up a good point about the use of public access channels. That could be a good idea. There's certainly enough crap on those channels now that something useful could be put on once in a while!