Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Active duty military testing for FDNY

17 posts in this topic

Not real sure where to post this. I just turned 24 and just took the most recent FDNY test Jan 2007. I did not test very well and really do not think I will be picked off this list and have been thinking about getting into the military to: 1) Gain the ever important 5 additional points added to my next exam score, and 2) add more years of eligibility to take another two tests if necessary as the age limit of 29 isnt that far away for me (again im 24). So my question is say I'm overseas during the next exam, does the FDNY offer exams to soldiers and sailors overseas?

I think every civil service exam has an alternate date for situations such as yours and religious observances, however I could be wrong.

Maybe it's not my place to say, but it seems a bit odd that you would consider joining the military for the apparent sole purpose of taking the FDNY civil service exam. I really, REALLY, hope that is not your only motivation for military service...

Dont be a moron. Go take a test somewhere else. Go get a degree.

As far as I know, the dept offers an alternative test date (I believe the same weekend) but no alternative sites outside the 5 boroughs

I want to be FDNY, I am willing to do just about anything to have that oppurtunity. I dont quite understand the issue, and what does a degree have to do with it?

As far as I know, the dept offers an alternative test date (I believe the same weekend) but no alternative sites outside the 5 boroughs

Thats what I had thought, thank you

The Navy offers being an Aviation Boatswain (pronounced Bosun) Mate. Those are the guys who tend to be (but not always) the aircraft firefighters. There is also being a Damage Controlman aboard a ship. This focuses more on the confined spaces of a ship fighting fire, dewatering (you have to get rid of the water you put on the fire or else you sink), and shoring in case of damage. I think both are pretty sweet and give you a lot of on the job training for the future. I believe the Marines offer something akin to AB but not positive. The Air Force also has aircraft fire fighters but I wouldnt be surprised if they are all contract or DoD career guys (which is also a good career opportunity). They will probably ask for at least three years service for these rates so you will be pushing your timeline. Good luck.

I want to be FDNY, I am willing to do just about anything to have that oppurtunity. I dont quite understand the issue, and what does a degree have to do with it?

I don't believe there is an alternate or overseas test date. That's the reasoning behind extra years for eligibility. They give you more years because you could have been active during a test. As for doing what it takes to get on FDNY, I understand. Good luck!

The Navy offers being an Aviation Boatswain (pronounced Bosun) Mate. Those are the guys who tend to be (but not always) the aircraft firefighters. There is also being a Damage Controlman aboard a ship. This focuses more on the confined spaces of a ship fighting fire, dewatering (you have to get rid of the water you put on the fire or else you sink), and shoring in case of damage. I think both are pretty sweet and give you a lot of on the job training for the future.

Yea thats what I was looking into Navy firefighting, preferably aboard a carrier. I thought it would be pretty fun. Like getting on the FDNY, navy firefighting always seemed very interesting to me, and if that will give me a better chance of getting on the job then I dont think its that big of a sacrifice. Thanks to you and M'Ave for the support.

Edited by illinidorry

I had a friend who was a damage controlman, you know what he did? Mopped floors, its a glorified janitor position. He wanted to be a fireman as well, and the recruiter did the song and dance to convince him this was it. He know is on my job via Danbury FD. Forget about NYC, if I could do it again I would be out West or down South.

Everyone on the ship is a fire fighter in the case of a fire. "Fire fighter" on any US Navy ship is a misnomer.

I had a friend who was a damage controlman, you know what he did? Mopped floors, its a glorified janitor position. He wanted to be a fireman as well, and the recruiter did the song and dance to convince him this was it. He know is on my job via Danbury FD. Forget about NYC, if I could do it again I would be out West or down South.

You nailed it roofsopen. I got story after story about that same thing. Navy to see the world = recruiting offices in the midwest thanks to a training injury. Marines for public affairs = combat patrol after a 4 week journalism course. Army firefighter = truck driver. The list goes on. Take heart there a few jobs that are the same on paper. Infantry, corp man, truck driver, mechanic etc.

Everyone on the ship is a fire fighter in the case of a fire. "Fire fighter" on any US Navy ship is a misnomer.

Very true... especially aboard subs. I will quote directly from the Bluejacket's Manual (what every new recruit receives at Great Lakes)

"DC - Damage Controlman: DCs perform the work necessary for damage control, ship stability, firefighting, and chemical, biological, and radiological (CBR) warfare defense. They instuct personnel in damage control and CBR defense, and repair damage-control equipment and systems."

So yes, every one fights fire as necessary on board ship. If the ship goes to General Quarters, everyone will report to their assigned battle station. Some go to their "normal" job monitoring radios, fighting the ship, etc while many others report to a repair locker (think volunteers called to their fire station) where they await assignment to damage control parties. It has been a while since I have been aboard ship or that I have even had to think about this but as I recall if there is a fire confined to one space, the repair locker assigned to that space is the only group that responds. Please, if some one is prior enlisted Navy, correct me ASAP.

Although my previous statement may have been convoluted, as I understand it, DCs help direct the repair effort and lead hose teams when they get the appropriate experience. Thinking about it now, one guy I know who is an AB had to wait for his first shore tour (two-three years into commitment) to go to Airport Firefighter school. However, he was quite bitter that the Air Force guys went pretty much right out of boot camp. As much as it pains me to say, the Air Force might have better options for getting the training faster. Talk to both recruiters and see what happens. Just because you take the ASVAB doesnt mean you have to sell your soul to either of them.

As for the comment about SLJ's (sh**ty little jobs), yeah every takes their turn mopping. If you are really busy as a DC that means there are much bigger problems going on, as in you are getting shot at and hit. In our current wartime footing, Marines should expect to carry a weapon in combat. "Every Marine a rifleman" is our mantra and forever will be. Entire artillery battalions are deploying WITHOUT their artillery pieces to act as provisional rifle platoons and logistics support (big guns means big trucks to haul stuff around in). That means it was planned to be that way for months in advance. Sucks that your buddy got hurt but that has happened to some of my friends too. One person I know was an NCAA varsity athlete and got a contract to be a Navy pilot. She gets down to Pensacola to start training when they find a heart murmur that disqualifies her from flying. She really likes her new job now but she didnt grow up wanting to make power point presentations on intelligence.

So in the end, take every piece of advice with a grain of salt, do some more research on your own, and choose the best career path that supports your life goals. Sometimes you hit a speed bump along the way that forces you to change course but keep pressing because things may just work out better in the end.

How is it possible you didnt do well on an exam with two right answers for most of the questions? I doubt the next one will be your lucky Saturday either. I know complete morons who got 95's on the test, and I mean morons!

If you really want to be a firefighter than take as many tests as you can find. Hopefully you will become a better test taker (hopefuly becoming a FF) Entering the military for the sole purpose of getting points doesn't seem to be the right choice for entering the military. IE you might get five points but never take the test because you were killed. JMO

Yea but even a 95 cant get you hired. Maybe he wasnt in the high 90's-100's which is what is needed to get that phone call.