Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Yonkers- January 16th 1989

12 posts in this topic

Fire Kills, 7 Injures 8 in Yonkers

"Seven people were killed in a Yonkers roominghouse fire that left eight other people, including firefighters, injured.

The predawn blaze destroyed a roominghouse at 193 Warburton Ave, near Babcock Place, in a poor area riddled with drugs and crime.

The fire erupted shortly after 6 a.m. in the basement of the three-story wooden building and quickly spread to the other floors. It took 40 firefighters nearly three hours to bring the blaze under control.

A liquor store on the ground floor was also destroyed.

Two Bodies Tumble Out

Fire Commissioner William McLaughlin said that when firefighters forced open the front door, the bodies of two men tumbled onto the front stoop.

Three more bodies were found on the second floor. A sixth body was found in a room on the third floor. A seventh body was located in the basement.

Other residents, who paid $240 a month for a room in the house, escaped out a back door or down a fire escape.

Building owner, Frank Thomas, said that his tenants were "all on crack." Some residents said that the front door could only be opened from the inside with a key.

Story reproduced from articles in The Daily News and Herald Statesman

One of probably the top 20 worst fires in Yonkers history. I would be very interested in knowing if anyone had a recolection of the responding units on each alarm for this fire as well as what outside Mutual Aid engines and trucks were asked to come in and cover Yonkers Stations. Does anyone have access to this historical data?

" I would be very interested in knowing if anyone had a recolection of the responding units on each alarm for this fire"

I was the lieutenant on E306 that morning and we were first due engine on the 2nd. We took the 3 victims off the 2nd floor. That was a sad fire.

I was the lieutenant on E306 that morning and we were first due engine on the 2nd. We took the 3 victims off the 2nd floor. That was a sad fire.

Hey Batt2 shouldn't 6 been on the first there with 3,9,8 72 ,71 and rescue or were you guys out. I came in the day shift

Hey Batt2 shouldn't 6 been on the first there with 3,9,8 72 ,71 and rescue or were you guys out. I came in the day shift

-216, I believe the 1st alarm for that box is: E-308,309,303,310 L-71,72 Bat1 (R-1 still disbanded at time)

Edited by R1SmokeEater

If I remember right, they experimented with the running cards around that time to give E310 more runs up that quadrant which bumped E306 back. It wasn't too popular with us needless to say. I checked the present run cards and E306 is back as 4th due Engine.

Thanks for posting photo R1SmokeEater.

Very sad fire incident.

Your right ,memory gone when you get old R1SmokEater... :lol: the rescue wasn't around then

If I remember right, they experimented with the running cards around that time to give E310 more runs up that quadrant which bumped E306 back. It wasn't too popular with us needless to say. I checked the present run cards and E306 is back as 4th due Engine.

Technically Chief, the run card puts E301 before you...but they ain't around no mo'...LOL and 10 is technically 2nd due on 2nd alarm now-a-days.

Thanks for the photos smokeeater!