Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Healthy Diet on a 60 hour shift.

9 posts in this topic

I would like to pop the proverbial little tiny...red...thing....ANYWAY. I had a question. I work a full time schedule in my PT job every weekend, and I find it hard to keep on a healthy diet while running back to back calls. When there is no time, fast food just fills the void. I have tried to keep healthy snacks and drinks in a duffell on the rig but the fries and burger always sounds more convenient.

Anyone have little tips of the trade to share with me? Any workout ideas for a buisy lifestyle? I recently diagnosed with angina, my triponin was slightly elevated, and Im overweight. In trouble. Calling Mutual aid from my brothers.

Thanks Everyone.

Moose

If you have access to a freezer, frozen meals work great. I like the weight watcher ones. Give up soda completely, Drink a lot of water or seltzer. I generally have one of those packets of instant oatmeal from breakfast instead of the bacon egg and cheese. Occasionally I'll bring in a salad with grilled chicken and a low fat dressing. I also try to eat a lot of fruit. I'm in the same boat, trying to lose weight while working 100 hours a week. Its not easy.

So how do you eat on a crappy schedule? Sure fast food is easy and all of us complain about not having any time, but in the end, it comes down to planning ahead. If you want to eat healthier than what you have to start doing is planning what you are going to eat ahead of time. Yes, the frozen dinners are quick and easy to make, but they aren't the every day answer. I work a similar schedule about 60 hours but you can find me every weekend at stop and shop planning out what I am going to eat during the week. At the start it may seem boring, but over time and after you develop a good routine, you'll be better off. Exercise isn't the only thing we need to do to prevent the leading cause of LODDs.

When I go to the store, I am looking for four (4) things: some type of breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack all for that week. For dinner my girlfriend and I decide on three (3) items either chicken, steak, etc. We go with three because we usually have some leftovers we can stretch out later into the week.

Don't leave your house in the morning without breakfast, whether it be cereal or a bagel, something. Eggs aren't bad; just don't have them every day. Stick to egg whites if you can.

Your snacks should be a decent size. I have either a couple of granola bars, an apple or a PB&J sandwich. They aren't meant to fill you up, just settle the hungry stomach.

Lunch, I stick with cold cut sandwiches that I make at home. You'll save a lot of money this way. When I get bored I'll either have some leftovers or make myself a grill chicken or steak sandwich.

I agree with aowen, stick with water no soda. I know you were probably looking for a quick fix and I sure I was preaching to the choir but the fact is to be healthier it takes a lot of effort. As for workout ideas... I'll tackle that one later. If you have any other questions about physical fitness, getting healthier, conditioning programs, injuries, just PM me. It is what I do when I'm not sitting around waiting for another false alarm to come in.

So how do you eat on a crappy schedule? Sure fast food is easy and all of us complain about not having any time, but in the end, it comes down to planning ahead. If you want to eat healthier than what you have to start doing is planning what you are going to eat ahead of time. Yes, the frozen dinners are quick and easy to make, but they aren't the every day answer. I work a similar schedule about 60 hours but you can find me every weekend at stop and shop planning out what I am going to eat during the week. At the start it may seem boring, but over time and after you develop a good routine, you'll be better off. Exercise isn't the only thing we need to do to prevent the leading cause of LODDs.

When I go to the store, I am looking for four (4) things: some type of breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack all for that week. For dinner my girlfriend and I decide on three (3) items either chicken, steak, etc. We go with three because we usually have some leftovers we can stretch out later into the week.

Don't leave your house in the morning without breakfast, whether it be cereal or a bagel, something. Eggs aren't bad; just don't have them every day. Stick to egg whites if you can.

Your snacks should be a decent size. I have either a couple of granola bars, an apple or a PB&J sandwich. They aren't meant to fill you up, just settle the hungry stomach.

Lunch, I stick with cold cut sandwiches that I make at home. You'll save a lot of money this way. When I get bored I'll either have some leftovers or make myself a grill chicken or steak sandwich.

I agree with aowen, stick with water no soda. I know you were probably looking for a quick fix and I sure I was preaching to the choir but the fact is to be healthier it takes a lot of effort. As for workout ideas... I'll tackle that one later. If you have any other questions about physical fitness, getting healthier, conditioning programs, injuries, just PM me. It is what I do when I'm not sitting around waiting for another false alarm to come in.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice brothers. ATCFF, are you a trainer or something on the side? Or just like to work out? I do have questions about workout programs for full body conditioning but I will PM you later.

I find that the microwave meals are good....if your in the station to cook and eat them. But lately our buts have been handed to us each shift. Keeping sandwiches on board sounds like a good idea, I will just bring a lunch cooler with sandwiches and bananas and grapes and stuff. I was mostly concerned with my increased obesity due to increased amounts of stress lately, and how I can fit a workout routine into an already busy schedule.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Stay Safe

Moose

There is a very simple solution to your problem, but its easier said than done. Just stop. Fast food will always be easier and the cravings are going to be a problem. Thats why the stuff is so popular. You're body becomes addicted to the sugar and fat rush of the junk. These guys on this board have tons of great tips and info on what to eat and how to set yourself up but it is going to come down to what you want to do. Hands down the most cost effective and healthiest way to eat is to prepare your own food. Cook from scratch and you can control exactly what you put into your body. Garbage in = garbage out. Get yourself into a rhythm and schedule and it becomes very managable. It will never be the easiest way, but it will be the best way. Just keep yourself motivated and get your co-workers and family involved. For those tiems you slip up they can help keep you in line. Remember this is a fight for your life and it looks like you have a lot to live for.

Moosecfd368 - To keep it short, because I could ramble on forever, especially because my profession is often under-appreciated and now physical therapist are trying to push us off the roof... yes I am a "trainer". An Athletic Trainer, not a personal trainer, but I do develop conditioning programs for all ages along with evaluating, treating, and rehabilitating injures. I will stop there before I start advertising for ATC's everywhere. Any questions just let me know.

Moose:

Look into the weight watchers program. I don't mean that if you have to lose weight..but look into buying the books, learning the system and you will find what you can eat to maintain your weight and even drop a little if you like. They have a dining out book which also will help you make better decisions. When I eat out I often bring food from home that I make or I stick to Subway with their lower fat choices, baked potato chips vs. regular, water or diet soda and fruit! Portion control also helps in these situations. Otherwise Wendy's chili's are not all that bad as long as it has no cheese on it. That's how I basically learned, I did the system to lose some weight and still use it when I fluxuate and to eat out when I'm teaching and such.

Moose:

Look into the weight watchers program. I don't mean that if you have to lose weight..but look into buying the books, learning the system and you will find what you can eat to maintain your weight and even drop a little if you like. They have a dining out book which also will help you make better decisions. When I eat out I often bring food from home that I make or I stick to Subway with their lower fat choices, baked potato chips vs. regular, water or diet soda and fruit! Portion control also helps in these situations. Otherwise Wendy's chili's are not all that bad as long as it has no cheese on it. That's how I basically learned, I did the system to lose some weight and still use it when I fluxuate and to eat out when I'm teaching and such.

Thanks brother. My pregnant sister-in-law has already started me on the "Points" System. Her sister has the books and everything so they just figured out my points values for the day and told me what to eat and not. I started it a week ago...as I speak Im eating my "3" Point cardboard ravioli (hoerdeurve if you ask me!!) Seriously though, it doesnt taste that bad and Im sticking to it so far...( fingers crossing)

Thanks Guys

Moose

What helped me get into was my uncle and my wife after our last child. I've gotten good at what to eat and what not to eat and I've never been hungry on the system when I've done it. I went on it again recently after the holiday weight pack on. If you need some ideas PM me with your personal email and I'll tell you some of the things I eat that are normal meals and don't cost points and some other easy things to pick and choose when you eat out. I've done it like 3 times over the past 5 or 6 years when I get a little heavier then I like and it always works. The holiday season always kills me. Some things also take time getting use to, I drink less soda and am use to only diet now..which Coke ONE is calorie free and taste just like regular coke to me. Still has caffeine but it is awesome. I also got use to the low fat Hellman's taste...it just takes time..if you want to do it...you will and it works. Like I said PM me if you want some other ideas. If you can get your hands on the books it helps...the first time I walked through a supermarket with the slider and the books and found things that are low points but gives you a decent serving for cravings when you do get hungry.