Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T. John

Sound Beach (Greenwich) Squad 5 and Incident Support Trailer

11 posts in this topic

Attached are some pictures of our new Squad (previously posted but it is now lettered and in-service) and our new Incident Support Trailer. Squad 5 is a multi-purpose vehicle for transporting personnel and for towing the Department's Incident Support Trailer (ICS). Squad 5 is equipped with an on-board generator for powering the ICS which carries building collapse equipment including shoring, a Stanley hydraulic system and other assets for the Technical Rescue Team. Squad 5 also responds with the Dive Team and is frequently used by the Fire Police for traffic control. The vehicle is equipped with a Whelen LED light package. For details on the Technical Rescue program, please visit www.soundbeachfire.org.

post-10497-1203358702.jpg

post-10497-1203358714.jpg

post-10497-1203358725.jpg

post-10497-1203358736.jpg

post-10497-1203358748.jpg

post-10497-1203358813.jpg

post-10497-1203359015.jpg

cool pictures - very nice truck and trailer.

cool pictures - very nice truck and trailer.

agreed, who did the outfit for the truck?

First let me say I like the truck and the configuration as described. I have a question though. Is this smaller truck replacing the old large ford heavy rescue truck that SBVFD has run for many years? I'm thinking that with the added trailer outfitted with tech-rescue stuff, they were able to "slim down" the apparatus, and if so, great idea. It is hard to comprehend in the days of "bigger is better" when it comes to purchasing Rescue vehicles. Congrats to the spec. committee for a job (perceived) well done.

JVC

First let me say I like the truck and the configuration as described. I have a question though. Is this smaller truck replacing the old large ford heavy rescue truck that SBVFD has run for many years? I'm thinking that with the added trailer outfitted with tech-rescue stuff, they were able to "slim down" the apparatus, and if so, great idea. It is hard to comprehend in the days of "bigger is better" when it comes to purchasing Rescue vehicles. Congrats to the spec. committee for a job (perceived) well done.

JVC

The new Squad is replacing our old Chevy Surburban and the trailor is an upgrade from our previous one. The trailer is designed to carry a lot of the specialty tools such as the Stanley system and the raker shores. it also has a logistics area which lends itself well for maintaining items in the field. Rescue 5 is slated for replacement this year, we are working on the specs now. The new truck will be a non walkin. The plan is to move the dive team gear and swiftwater gear to the current Rescue 5. Our current truck is overfilled.

The new Squad is replacing our old Chevy Surburban and the trailor is an upgrade from our previous one. The trailer is designed to carry a lot of the specialty tools such as the Stanley system and the raker shores. it also has a logistics area which lends itself well for maintaining items in the field. Rescue 5 is slated for replacement this year, we are working on the specs now. The new truck will be a non walkin. The plan is to move the dive team gear and swiftwater gear to the current Rescue 5. Our current truck is overfilled.

Thanks for the info.

are you guys planning to get rid of TAC 5 the international?

are you guys planning to get rid of TAC 5 the international?

That is the plan right now. We hope to consolidate all of the equipment currently stored on Rescue 5 and Tactical Support 5 onto the new Rescue. The new truck is also being designed so that it can lead off with enough wood to start a trench/collapse operation (4 panels and an assortment of dimensional lumber). The remaining wood would remain on Tactical Support 51 (the "Duce"). The Incident Support trailer would keep all of the larger items.

Nice pics. What is the "TracHorse" unit used for?

This is part of the Stanley hydraulic tools system. The TracHorse itself is primarily a tool-transport and power station. It allows for forward/reverse movement and can carry a fair amount of weight and tools. The entire system contains the TracHorse and a number of concrete breaching and breaking tools, drills, saws and components for USAR type work.

agreed, who did the outfit for the truck?

Fouts Brothers in GA. Did a great job at a really awesome price!

http://www.foutsfire.com/

The trailer was purchased locally and fabricated by our former Chief Paul Chiappetta.