Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NWFDMedic

1 post in this topic

i disagree, agencies run by the community are prone to being apart of community events, whether parades, fairs and other events, thus creating awareness and education of what we do, and then respect. Yes, I've seen 'third party' companies posting an ambulance at an event, but when you tuck yourselves in the corner and fall asleep, people do notice. Municipal agencies have a better chance of interacting with the public and that's important.

I don't think respect is that important, awareness and education of who you are and what you do is more important.

I think the ideals of respect come from employer to employee, and shown in proper salaries/wages, benefits and pension plans secondary to the 401K plan…but what do I know, I'm just a jolly vollie

You're absolutely right. When you tuck yourselves in the corner and fall asleep, people do notice. However, when you wallk around the event, socialize, and put your name out there, they notice too. This fault of lack of recognition you are referencing might not be with the public, but with the third party service and its employees.

Now, proper salaries, pension plans, etc. is a whole different story. I've been waiting for quite some time for the ball to drop and for wages to get better in the Hudson Valley, but I'm still waiting. Municipal service does not guarantee you'll get that though... most municipal service EMS doesn't get paid as much as PD or FD despite requiring more training.