Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

EMS Officer Query

Incident Management Training Completed   25 members have voted

1. 1. As an EMS officer, I have completed the following ICS Training (select highest level)

• I-100 (ICS Orientation) / IS-700 (NIMS Awareness)
    • Basic ICS (I-200)
    • Intermediate ICS (I-300)
    • Advanced ICS (I-400)
    • none
    • other program(s)
  2. 2. Why don't you/haven't you completed higher levels of ICS training?

• time / schedule
    • I don't need it
    • none available

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm just curious about EMS line officer/field supervisor training. I was just involved in a discussion that centered on the problem of poor attendance at classes. This led me to wonder why we don't fill some classes, hence this poll.

If you're not a current or former EMS line officer/supervisor please don't take the poll - but feel free to post your comments!

Thanks in advance.

Since "time" is coming up as a major obstacle to completing higher level training, what schedule would enable you to attend?

Hey Chris,

I was a Lt and a Captain in my old squad, and back then I only had a few courses like "Preparing for Command", "Commanding the initial response", and a class I took at college as part of my "Fire Protection Technology" major called "Fire Administration". But now, its easy for anyone to go online and take the ICS and NIMS training courses and print out a certificate, thats how I got my ICS-200 and NIMS-700, and I plan to take more now that they are being offered in my county.

They have made it mandatory for ALL Chief and Line Officers to have atleast ICS-100 and 200, and NIMS-700 to be an officer.

As far as time constraints...The past 9 months have been hell for me. Working 2 FT jobs, no sleep, major family issues and job issues to deal with...I barely have time to sit down and cruise through a few threads here before Im unconcious at night! :lol: But lately I have not even had the time to Ride the ambulance or do fire calls let alone attend classes...and I cant wait until I can start again.

Good Post brother.

Moose

Was Captain of my VAC 15 years ago and became Captain again in January. Have never seen any officer courses offered to VACs.

Would be very willing to take any courses offered.

Was Captain of my VAC 15 years ago and became Captain again in January. Have never seen any officer courses offered to VACs.

They're not EMS specific but there are good courses offered by SEMO on Leadership, Decision Making, Effective Communications and ICS. Here's a link to their calendar: http://www.semo.state.ny.us/programs/training/calendar.cfm

The non-ICS courses are part of the Professional Development Series and can be used toward higher level certificates from FEMA.

Hope this helps!

GAW... Private Message me please. Or if you have something in mind that you feel you'd like to see or your members...post it here.

Gang...NIMS online courses are a good foundation...get out and take a classroom version! Look for some of the locally made courses that takes the NIMS down to an operational level which is what we truly need. There are good ICS courses out there and they are in a classroom..not across your computer screen!

GAW... Private Message me please. Or if you have something in mind that you feel you'd like to see or your members...post it here.

Gang...NIMS online courses are a good foundation...get out and take a classroom version! Look for some of the locally made courses that takes the NIMS down to an operational level which is what we truly need. There are good ICS courses out there and they are in a classroom..not across your computer screen!

I agree with what you said ALS, but not all counties have these courses on a regular basis. I took mine 2 years ago online because our county never had them, and I was barely affording gas to get to work let alone the academy or other municipalities that had the courses. Our county is finally getting them this year and I am attempting to take the classroom when I can.

I used to think the same way as you, but after taking the course online, I felt it was better than a classroom. You had to read the material, than take a test. If you failed you didnt get credit. Around here there are too many guys who goof off in class and just simply "Recieve" their certificate weather they passed or not. But I do see your point too.

Completed ICS 100/200/300/700/800!

Just waiting on 400!

I used to think the same way as you, but after taking the course online, I felt it was better than a classroom. You had to read the material, than take a test. If you failed you didnt get credit. Around here there are too many guys who goof off in class and just simply "Recieve" their certificate weather they passed or not. But I do see your point too.

Sorry for that brother..but I can tell you where I am at...there is no goofing in our classrooms. Anyone who has taken one of my classes can attest to that and I can say the same for the majority of Westchester Instructors.