Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Tractor-Trailer Accident with fire - Interstate 84 at the Rte 52 Overpass- East Fishkill Fire District - May 1985

1 post in this topic

This is another of my I-84 accidents from my archives that occurred in May of 1985 on Interstate 84 at the Route 52 overpass in the East Fishkill Fire District. The collision forced two of the vehicles involved to leave the roadway. The Tractor-Trailer actually went off the Rte 52 over-pass and landed violently on Rte 52 over 30 feet below. The resulting impact caused the T-T to burst into flames and I believe the driver lost his life as a result. A pick-up truck faired better and rolled off of I-84 down an embankment which resulted in injuries to the occupants of the same. I have more photo's in addition to these that I will be adding to my web site hopefully soon.... I have a sinus infection which has impaired my memory (among other things) So if someone could add or clarify any details I would appreciate it...... Thanks... Bill Johnson/FDPhotoUnit

263964940_rwnMR-XL.jpg

The tractor-trailer where it came to rest and burst into flame on Rte 52 some 30 plus feet below the interstate.

263964856_2QTYx-XL.jpg

The other vehicle involved in the incident. You can see the path it took leaving the interstate as a result of the collision. The P/U had the easier route off the highway....

263965587_wFKfG-XL.jpg

The Tractor-Trailer broke apart and caught fire upon its impact with Route 52 below. I believe the East Fishkill Rescue Squad is treating occupants of the P/U in the foreground.

263965079_Vx4zy-XL.jpg

EMT's treat one of the pick-ups occupants who, if I remember correctly was able to crawl to the top of the truck where he is now.... Not the best place to find a patient......Note the firefighters to the right - They are trying to shore up the vehicle using some large rocks to supplement what was already in place.... Looking at these photo's highlight how much things have changed.... How our equipment, tools, methods, and training have improved.......

263968092_THXWF-XL.jpg

This was the only discernible trace of the cab..... It's engine...... The fire consumed everything else (Including its driver? - Can someone confirm this for me?)

Edited by Photounit