Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Red Hook's Engine 279 defies Fire Department ban on racy nicknames

33 posts in this topic

Red Hook's Engine 279 defies Fire Department ban on racy nicknames

BY JONATHAN LEMIRE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, March 9th 2008, 4:00 AM

Ladder 111 had to paint out their chosen name.

The happy hookers live on.

Despite an FDNY crackdown on controversial firehouse nicknames and patches, the quarters of Engine 279/Ladder 131 in Red Hook are still emblazoned with the logo of the Happy Hookers.

The picture dominates one of the station's front doors in defiance of a Fire Department edict handed down in the wake of a pair of firehouse scandals.

FULL STORY: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brookl...re_departm.html

I don't see what the big deal with these names are.

This is a little rediculous. Happy Hookers, yeah, maybe I could see that being somewhat risque, but reading the rest of the article...

Some firehouses have circumvented the FDNY's rules and preserved the essence of their eyebrow-raising nicknames. Engine 214/Ladder 111 in Bedford-Stuyvesant painted over the word "nut" in its Nut House logo but kept the Mr. Peanut-inspired mascot.

Others have used the Internet to preserve their monikers. Both Engine 59/Ladder 30 - The Harlem Zoo - and Engine 301/Ladder 150 - the Hollis Hogs - have scrubbed the logos from their firehouses, but the nicknames are still alive on the companies' Web sites.

The Nut House... Is Planters Nut Co. going to sue them for copyright infringment?

Hollis Hogs... Hmmm, that might offend farmers or harley riders...

Harlem Zoo.... Be careful, all those lions and tigers running around down there might tear you a new one...

What's next? First in, Last Out? You could consider that a sexual phrase...

Are we going to have to stop using "HARD SUCTION" hose, and call it something like Rigid Large Diameter Water Flowing Straw?

Give us a break!!!!

Edited by x648eng119

Also on this FOX 5 ran the story last night and showed FDNYTrucks.com web site on the news. So Mike got some air time. I hope they asked him first. LOL

Rigid Large Diameter Water Flowing Straw

RLDWFS gets my vote for Acronym of the Year

Also on this FOX 5 ran the story last night and showed FDNYTrucks.com web site on the news. So Mike got some air time. I hope they asked him first. LOL

They didnt. not happy about it either...

I think they should ban commissioner's office to the "The home of the big boobs"

THE PC Police strike again!

90 proof went bye bye. I wonder if the residents around Yankee Stadium are going to sue for the defamatory "Bronx Bombers" slogan. Although, one of the funniest ones I have seen is on 35 Engine. It's not a slogan, or nickname. Over the front suction, it says, "Just Add Water".

I think they should ban commissioner's office to the "The home of the big boobs"

THE PC Police strike again!

Big Boobs now that's funny.

<_<

Don't worry, slogan's and patches are out. They've moved on from resposne times to EMS runs and even AFID (BISP, as it's been renamed) is not the hot topic it was. Metrotech will have to come up with a new "hot item" for review.

Mike did you see the report yourself as well.

<_<

Don't worry, slogan's and patches are out. They've moved on from resposne times to EMS runs and even AFID (BISP, as it's been renamed) is not the hot topic it was. Metrotech will have to come up with a new "hot item" for review.

Response times in general, and that includes processing times. There's a program in place in Queens right now that gets only part of the info to the units before the call is completed. It's a bad idea, and it's gonna cause some serious problems. It's only gonna get more interesting(read:worse)

there are some pretty funny nicknames, is their a list out their of all the companys and their current or former nicknames?

Actually, there is. Check the Fire Bell Club Website. You may find a link there.

Just another example of political correctness gone out of control. This society is becoming entirely too sensitive for its own good, to the point it's actually having the opposite effect of that which was intended.

Not to be a jerk but...your site is publicly accessible last time I checked. Why would they need to check with you first before mentioning it in a report? :huh: Now, had this been a print or web news agency that used your copyrighted photos without permission, that's a whole other issue entirely. As your site says: "Any duplication, whether in print, or on the internet is expressly prohibited." Mentions nothing about showing it on TV!

Edited by res6cue

actually, did you see me say that they had to check with me or ask my permission? No you didnt. I said only that I am not happy that they did it. Dont read into something that isnt there...

My brother Chris is a LT. in 75/33, The Animal House, and they are constantly getting flack for thier name. People on the outside just cannot understand the meaning of company pride or esprit de corps. The link:

http://www.animalhousefdny.com

JVC

isn't it more important that they do there job, never mind whats on the t-shirt they wear to the pub

anyway if you ask me they have some cool nicknames

Did anyone read the comments made on the article? Like that firemen are lazy and have it made because they get paid to eat at the firehouse? Disturbing.

its "nice" to know that its not just the UK that have idiots

I was once out with some friends when a drunk was being arrested, he asked the police "don't you have anything better to do" to which the copper replyed "yes lots but I'm enjoying this more"

They're just mad because they have no pride or tradition where they work.

Hey if I'm not mistaken, people who lived in Red Hook way back when all called themselves "Hookers" or "Red Hookers" since they were talking about the neighborhood they lived in and grew up. I'll have to find the article about this I was reading a while back about NYC / Brooklyn neighborhoods and nicknames.

As a resident of 279s first due area, I am proud to be protected by the Happy Hookers.

As a resident of 279s first due area, I am proud to be protected by the Happy Hookers.

Lol, I wouldn't say that around Eliot Spitzer... LMAO :lol:

Lol, I wouldn't say that around Eliot Spitzer... LMAO :lol:

DOH!! you went there!

I was wondering how long it would take to get there....

Someone had to say it... i figured why not me, lol

Theyre out there everyday risking their lives everyday....let them make and use whatever mottos they want