Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest paramedico987

Specialty Laryngoscope Blades

3 posts in this topic

I've been looking around the net at different laryngoscope blade designs and have found a few that look like they'd be really good.

I'm especially interested in the Reduced Flange English Profile Macintosh blade and the Cranwall modification of the Miller blade.

Anybody try any of the "specialty" blades? What's your oppinion of their performance?

R/F E-Mac

post-2275-1206844700.gif

Cranwall

post-2275-1206844833.jpg

I recently took the DAMS (Difficult Airway Management Seminar) class in Stamford, and got the chance to play with dozens of toys. Besides the gum bougie (a.k.a. the "bubble gum boogie"), the Viewmax® Laryngoscope Blade was the most impressive simple add-on to plain old laryngoscopy. The built-in scope gives great visualization. Hold on....(cut n' paste in process)....."Patented lens system refracts the image approximately 20° from horizontal, allowing visualization of even the most anterior larynx. Exclusive lens system also provides visual confirmation of endotracheal intubation by allowing a clear view of the vocal cords even as the tube passes through."

Couldn't have typed it better myself. It really does give a terrific view, and especially with bull necks and droopy anatomy, makes things a bit easier. WARNING-for fiber optic handles only, and costs about $175 each. Worth carrying.

LOOK HERE

Pretty darn cool.

I have used and like the reduced flange type, particularly with my preference to liking a wide mac blade to begin with.

My agency bought the viewmax blades and even in training I have not warmed up to them or liked them all that much.

I have also come to like the disposible fiber optic blades they carry in my local ED, again wide blade with a slightly different curve to them that I find very ergonomic and the light is one of the brightest I've seen.

Finally out of all the blades out there, I still take training BLS in intubation assistive techniques as paramount to getting difficult tubes.