Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
5slow

NY Daily News Article - One from Westchester! Great Job!

6 posts in this topic

Paramedics fearlessly climb into crane ruin and save two lives

By PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY

Daily News Staff Writer

Monday, March 31st 2008, 4:00 AM

Warga/News

Paramedics Juan Henriquez (l.) and Marco Girao have been partners for years.

(Page 1 of 2)

Daily News Heroes of the Month

Spotlighting those who go beyond the call of duty to make New York better

Like a Jenga puzzle, the townhouse pancaked by the collapsed crane and transformed into a pile of bricks, wood, beams, metal pipes and furniture could have shifted and toppled if the wrong piece was moved.

But Fire Department paramedics Juan Henriquez and Marco Girao didn't hesitate at the precarious disaster site after the East Side crane disaster that left seven people dead. They climbed into the wreckage and helped save two lives.

They also made a little New York history: It was the first time that crush medicine was applied successfully in the field, according to FDNY officials.

Henriquez and Girao immediately treated two men, following a new protocol to avert crush syndrome, which can occur when victims are pinned for an extended period and blood flow is cut off, turning the trapped blood toxic.

They stayed with the injured men while firefighters extricated them, treating them, reassuring and encouraging them as debris fell all around.

For performing their job under dire conditions, Henriquez and Girao are the Daily News Heroes of the Month.

poshaughnessy@nydailynews.com

For the complete article, use the following link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/0...to_crane_r.html

Check this thread

Cool.

There is a similar thread on these guys with a link from Lohud.com

Edited by FFNick

Great work, Guys!!!!!

This job turned out to be a textbook example of how we'd like to work prolonged extrications. I remember posting about crush/compartment syndrome and that's exactly what happened to this patient. We were in the hole with him for 2 hrs. 53 min. and 15 sec. Even after all the meds, when we were able to place him on a monitor as soon as we got him topside, he still was showing peaked T-waves. I don't know how much detail i can go into re: his condition, but it was my understanding there was potential for dialysis in the hospital due to the imminent path of kidney failure he was going down. It was a HUGE asset to have our USAR Dr. Gonzalez onscene. He was able to make entry and coordinate appropriate pt. care during the extrication.

Unfortunately, and much to myself and my partner's discomfort, the news articles have focused on our part of the rescue without fully acknowledging everyone else. All of us on this board know what kind of resources are needed to effect this. Rescue 1 especially did a tremendous job, as they always do, in making this effort a success while putting themselves at risk. At one point operations had to stop in order to extricate a R1 FF who along with my partner and the Dr. were struck with heavy falling debris from above. As rescue medics and somewhat new to this discipline, we feel confident making entry and assessing pt.'s and providing medical care because these guys are there. We fully trust, and are awed by, their ability to do all that needs to be done to make jobs like these a success.

Without going into specifics, medical management of the crush injury protocols were implemented, including the administration of Sodium Bicarb., D50W, fluid and pain management.