Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Peekskill Ped Struck/Medevac Question

13 posts in this topic

Date: 04-07-08

Time: 17:30

Frequency: Numerous

Units Operating: R134, Peekskill EMS 75-B2, Numerous Peekskill PD Units.

Description Of Incident: Child Struck by car IFO Peekskill High School. Stat Flight 'auto launched' to the field in front of the High School.

What is meant by "auto launch"???

Is a medevac automatically requested for some jobs based on dispatch information?

What is meant by "auto launch"???

Is a medevac automatically requested for some jobs based on dispatch information?

I believe so. It might be automatically dispatched due to a trauma protocol or even EMD guidelines that could have been pre-established by the area Squad Captains and dispatch to save on time.

My captain is working on such a protocol for our squad due to the fact we are always calling for one lately, and it takes time to contact the bird to see if their available and can fly. (weather factors, other priority calls received simultaneously)

If there is someone from that area that can confirm or clear this up it would be appreciated, so I can take the info to my captain and share it with him.

Thanks!

Moose

I believe so. It might be automatically dispatched due to a trauma protocol or even EMD guidelines that could have been pre-established by the area Squad Captains and dispatch to save on time.

My captain is working on such a protocol for our squad due to the fact we are always calling for one lately, and it takes time to contact the bird to see if their available and can fly. (weather factors, other priority calls received simultaneously)

If there is someone from that area that can confirm or clear this up it would be appreciated, so I can take the info to my captain and share it with him.

Thanks!

Moose

I'm with you on the early notification and stand-by but "auto-launch" based upon dispatch information seems imprudent. If the dispatch information is wrong and the medevac is not needed you've tied up a scarce resource and expended a significant amount of unrecoverable money. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for expediting the trip for someone to a trauma center, I'm just looking for clarification of the "auto launch".

Our local Medical helicopter is alerted via pager and phone call to there base dispatcher by our dispatch for all falls greater then 15ft, pedestrian struck by vehicle, all motorcylce mva's and all entrapment calls. This helps us out a great deal to have them on stand by at the time of dispatch since our closest level 1 tramua center is 2hrs! The flight crew will even lift off on there own depending on were it is in the county before a unit gets on scene to determine if they are needed or not.

There is a policy with STATFLIGHT that incidents outside a certain mileage area will result in an automatic launch for the Medevac Helicopter. For incidents within a certain mileage area, Medevac can be placed on standby and then launched on request. Either option, of course, is dependent on a Dispatcher, FD, EMS, or Citizen requesting MEDEVAC/HEMS services.

If memory serves, any request for a standby where the nearest chopper is 25 nautical miles or more from the job, they will auto-launch.

If memory serves, any request for a standby where the nearest chopper is 25 nautical miles or more from the job, they will auto-launch.

Thanks for all the responses!

OK, since you're chock full of answers today, Remember585, Peekskill is well within 25 NM of WMC. Was another ship used for this call?

I was at the scene air 1 was used for that call

What was meant by auto launch was that the medic was not on scene yet but made request for statflight based on the fire chief's(2341) report, he was on scene and witnessed the car vs ped. Based on the report given from the chief to paramedic responding the medic(39M1) requested air1 be auto launched. In retrospect it was great call by the medic, the girl stopped breathing on the flight down and was tubed when they made the ER. I heard rumors she underwent brain surgery yesterday at WCMC. Our area doesnt have EMD protocols which designate types of response as of yet.

That's right. That was the original criteria, 25 NM radius. It may have changed, I've been out of the game for a bit now, but that was the Auto-Launch criteria, pre-LifeNet.

Back in the early 2000's PCVAC was set-up for the helicopter to go on stand-by for a call of that nature, but since then I know there have been changes to all the pre-plans at 60 control

Our area doesnt have EMD protocols which designate types of response as of yet.

Actually your area does have EMD protocols however they are severely under used, 911 callers get appropriate pre-arrival instructions but nothing has been put in place in regard to assigning calls priorities and basing resource dispatched based on that. With that said I'm not sure that I would be a fan of such a protocol for the area being discussed now. Probably would be a good idea to begin with SOP/SOG's on a local level that handles response modes then work with control in regard to resources dispatched based on priority assigned.

Back in the early 2000's PCVAC was set-up for the helicopter to go on stand-by for a call of that nature, but since then I know there have been changes to all the pre-plans at 60 control

I don't quite remember that protocol or it every happening once while I was on duty but it still makes no sense to me at all. It may also couple with the fact that the majority of us who work there rarely utilize medevac services.

The medic on that job is a very experienced firefighter/paramedic with years of service in both fields. There also was another FF/Paramedic who was coming off duty that assisted, resulting in good decision making and excellent, quality care.

Actually your area does have EMD protocols however they are severely under used, 911 callers get appropriate pre-arrival instructions but nothing has been put in place in regard to assigning calls priorities and basing resource dispatched based on that. With that said I'm not sure that I would be a fan of such a protocol for the area being discussed now. Probably would be a good idea to begin with SOP/SOG's on a local level that handles response modes then work with control in regard to resources dispatched based on priority assigned.

I don't quite remember that protocol or it every happening once while I was on duty but it still makes no sense to me at all. It may also couple with the fact that the majority of us who work there rarely utilize medevac services.

The medic on that job is a very experienced firefighter/paramedic with years of service in both fields. There also was another FF/Paramedic who was coming off duty that assisted, resulting in good decision making and excellent, quality care.

Tom, what I meant by saying we dont have protocols is that we dont get different responses based on the EMD priority coding, i.e, a call coded ALS gets the same recommendation as a BLS coding. The EMD is getting done when we get the calls direct at control. So the foundation is layed to use the EMD system, but like you said the SOP/SOG's either arent in place or dont exist.