Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Ticket or Not to Ticket?

32 posts in this topic

Not to hijack the thread, but I got a ticket tonight for "speed no reasonable and prudent." I'm a little upset here becasue it's a stretch. He claimed I went too fast up a hill and almost ran a light. But I didn't run the light (and he said that too), and I wasn't doing more then 35 in a 30 while going up a hill since I had to acclerate. I was not on radar and he said he was doing me a favor.

So to the other LEOs here, do you write this or give me a warning?

Depends on your attitude and mine at the time. That's just me though I work with a whole bunch of people who lack social skill and would write anybody.

I hate that "speed not prudent" violation. I actually got stopped for some odd reason on a clear day in light traffic on the NYS Thruway doing 72 in a 65 on my way up to an EMS event of some sort. The trooper wrote me for "speed not prudent" and somehow it stuck. I was nice to the trooper, all "yes sir" or "no sir", never complained, etc. I have that odd feeling that it had something to do with the fact that I was captain of my EMS agency at the time and had red lights on my personal vehicle and I found a trooper with a grudge.

I guess I really shouldn't complain because I was violating the speed limit but I knew full well that the NYS Thruway was built with such sight lines, grade changes, and turns, that they somehow scientifically figured out that it should be able to be navigated by the average driver at a speed of 75 mph with the cars of those days. Oh well, those points are long gone from my record. :rolleyes:

Granted, the cop might have been fishing but a ticket for 1180(a) is still better than an acutal speeding ticket. Getting a regular speeding ticket would have subjected you to increased points, a greater fine, and if you got nailed speeding again in the next 18 months even more of a fine for your next ticket. What it comes down to is that he was still doing you a favor for writing the 1180(a).