Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rimrockny24

Leather Helmets

9 posts in this topic

I am looking into buying a leather helmet. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better the New Yorker or the Sam Houston? Also does anyone have a recommendation on a place to buy it from?

I have the leather heritage by Paul Conway, I like it, but the Asst Cheif has a Sam Houston and he likes it very well. As for a place to buy try

www.thefirestore.com

The N5A is the New Yorker which has a slightly higher profile than the Sam Houston. Both are excellent helmets. I know a lot of people who bought through The Fire Store. Watch for periodic sales on these helmets. I have an N5A and found that it fit me better than the 1010.

i believe the difference between the two cairns leather helmets is very little. i think the sam houston is osha and nfpa compliant due to the additional impact cap in the helmet. i have had two new yorkers and have been very satisfied. thefirestore.com is the best site out there and they have the largest in stock inventory. if you order from them select regular shipping it will come in 2 - 3 days, it ships from PA.

Edited by mpgfire93

The "New Yorker" aka the N5A is only NFPA compliant. The "Sam Houston" aka the N6A is OSHA compliant. The difference is that the "Sam has a higher crown do to a space between the leather and the impact cap in side the helmet. I prefer the N5A but make sure you check out what your department prefers before you buy it.

I was justed issued a Phenix leather helmet at work to demo. I kind of like it, it is a bit lighter than the new yorkers we usually wear. It does sit a little high on my head. The nice thing about the helmet, is that the liner and ratchet system is alot easier to remove than the cairns.

I was talking to an NYS OFPC instructor about the difference between the N5A and the N6A... He said the impact test that OSHA puts the N6A through, is such a hard force, that the helmet will stand up to it, but most likely, your spine will not.