Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GM911

How would you treat this patient?

36 posts in this topic

Oswego..mine did in a way he was standing leaning over a car trunk when I got there and the ambulance arrived a few mins. later.

Was this the guy we had in front of the liquor store on South St. with the Ice Pick in his back? I think you were there for that one!

I'm going to echo most of the comments here, stabilize the blade, keep this guy as still as possible, either prone, or on his side as so to get high flow O2 into him and get him to a trauma center. I could see boarding him on his side as well.

Stabilize the object and transport. Even if it was possible to effectively immobilize him, spinal immobilization wouldn't do much. The goal there is to prevent injury by providing stability so what ever damage done by the blade isn't going to be made worse so long as that blade stays exactly where it is. Besides the pain of a large knife in his back should be enough motivation for him to keep still. If he stops breathing bleeding and spinal injury become less important so feel free to play excaliber, pull the knife, flip him and begin airway management.

Difficulty breathing, sucks for him all you can really do is oxygen and an NRB. At some point if it becomes so compromised that he is no longer able to sustain life see above.

If the patient experiences D/B due to lying prone you could try left lateral recumbant.

Was this the guy we had in front of the liquor store on South St. with the Ice Pick in his back? I think you were there for that one!

No..different one..but I was there for the ice pick as well. lol.

Although I have to say that both were easier then the trauma I had yesterday!

No..different one..but I was there for the ice pick as well. lol.

Although I have to say that both were easier then the trauma I had yesterday!

Glad I don't ride with you anymore...LOL. Actually I miss it, but with the new little one on the way, I ain't even trying to get back in the game just yet...

Sniff Sniff...don't get me all misty eyed...lol. Yeah..we had some crazy a** times together I miss some of the guys who aren't around anymore. The game hasn't changed much..just the offensive coordinators.