Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Fallen Brother non-lodd- George Chomich - Yorktown Heights FD

5 posts in this topic

http://www.yorktownfire.org/index.cfm?fs=n...amp;News_ID=134

PAST PRESIDENT, LIFE MEMBER GEORGE CHOMICH PASSES AWAY

By Fire Chief Martin McGannon

May 8, 2008

On May 8, 2008 Yorktown Heights Engine Company mourns the loss of Past President, Life Member George Chomich. George joined the Engine Co. on Aug. 13, 1978 and after around 10 years of firefighting and helping with fire prevention; George became President of the Company in 1983. Serving for two years George was instrumental in making changes for the betterment of the Engine Company.

When George wasn't able to fight fire, he became Yorktown's chief radio dispatcher. Manning the radio for long hours and making sure many calls were covered during storm events, and taken the calls on Yorktown Santa run. George was so active as our dispatcher, when the radio room was remodeled it was dedicated in his honor. His skills as dispatcher for Yorktown paved the way for a part-time job working for Somers Fire &EMS dispatcher.

He also was very instrumental in fundraising for the company, holding the record for selling the most car raffle tickets in one year. Back in the late 70's George would often be found at Yorktown Locksley Rd. fire station helping other teach young school children fire prevention.

With all the time spent at the fire house and working George always found the time to take in a Yankees game. Many times I can remember hearing George cheering in the old lounge room and yelling at the TV set when a Yankees player made errors. I would have to say George love for the Yankees was second to none.

Funeral Arrangements:

Wake will be a Clark Funeral Home in Yorktown

Thursday 2 pm to 4 pm and 7pm to 9pm

Friday 2pm to 4pm and 7pm to 9pm

Department Services will be Friday [TODAY] May 9th at 7:30 pm

Funeral Mass will be at 8:45am Saturday May 10th @ St. Patrick's stone church in Yorktown.

George you will be missed and remembered

rest in peace brother

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Thoughts, Prayers, and Codolences to George's family and friends, as well as his brothers and sisters in Yorktown FD. Take comfort in knowing that he is in a better place. Rest in Peace, George, as you sit at the right Hand of the Father.

I worked with George in Somers a few years back, hell of a nice guy. I can remember hearing him on the radio at both "KEF 795" and "KEC 625."

Rest in Peace, George.

Rest in Peace.

RIP GEORGE My Prayers to you, your family , and the brothers of Yorktown FD