Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Radio Skip on Westchester County 46.26 MHz

11 posts in this topic

May 10th 2008

I heard "Fire Control" from Washington County, NY give the 0001 sign on over 46.26 MHz

They identified themselves as "Fire Control in Washington County"

If I remember correctly that is some place not far from Saratoga, NY and Glens Falls, NY

I did a quick check of the FCC Database and Washington County is licensed

for 46.26 MHz under the Call Sign of WQEP250.

Then again at 0015 "Fire Control" was talking with "Car 55-01"

for an alarm that 55-01 and 55-02 were responding too.

INTERESTING.... :rolleyes:

Anyone else hearing this?

HEY, 636 you guys hearing it too?

Rob, that's not skip. Skip is what used to happen on Dutches County 46.36, when the Dutchess Dispatchers used to talk to the Dispatchers in Aneheim, Californa. But yeah I've heard that, also hears Greene County on 46.14.

Many years ago, at this time of the year, we at Mohegan were able to talk directly to Aneheim also. I have received Putnam County, NY on my portable scanner here in Florida at times.

During my first year as Second Assistant Chief of Croton Falls FD, I had left the Chiefs' Convention at the Concord, and went up the back side of the Ashokan Reservoir to Delhi to visit an old friend, I heard Rita Voris do the 8:15 PM test from Lincolndale Firehouse loud and clear as if I was right outside the firehouse.

On a side note, God Bless Rita, she was one of the all time BEST dispatchers EVER!

I travel through Washington County at least twice a week and I listen to their VHF Hi transmissions on my 2 meter Ham Radio. All their EMS is on VHF Hi on a channel they call Local Goverment which is repeated . It seems that any municipality has access to this channel. I hear Highway Dept trucks calling in accidents to Fire Control and Pages for the on duty CPS worker in addition to EMS dispatches. Fire paging is also on VHF Hi but it seems mobile to mobile, mobile to Fire control, and Fire Control to Mobile are on VHF LOW. An interesting fact about Washington County Fire Control is that they are also the dispatch agency for a number of Fire and EMS agencies in Vermont.

I have received Putnam County, NY on my portable scanner here in Florida at times.

And yet, we can't talk to units on route 9D by the Bear Mountain Bridge. Howie, the next time you hear us, answer us :rolleyes:

Rob, that's not skip. Skip is what used to happen on Dutches County 46.36, when the Dutchess Dispatchers used to talk to the Dispatchers in Aneheim, Californa. But yeah I've heard that, also hears Greene County on 46.14.

Is That What I Here Sometimes Early In The Morning Or Later At Night On Command (453.800) In Dutchess County??? Or If It Isn't Anybody Know Who It Is Because I Know It Isn't Dutchess Because They Never Answer.

Thomas

I have received Putnam County, NY on my portable scanner here in Florida at times.

And I can only hear Putnam east side sometimes and I'm 10 miles away from Putnam County west side

Is That What I Here Sometimes Early In The Morning Or Later At Night On Command (453.800) In Dutchess County??? Or If It Isn't Anybody Know Who It Is Because I Know It Isn't Dutchess Because They Never Answer.

Thomas

That is bridge and sanitation workers in NYC I hear it all the time driveing on Rt 9 by Spackenkill Rd and sometimes by Dutchess Stadium on Rt 9D

Wow That Is Crazy. What Is The Farest Place That Anyone Can Here From Where You Are???

I Have Heard The NYC Sanitation Company From Wappinger Falls In Dutchess County.

Thomas

Edited by TAPSJ

Years ago when 37.10 MHz was a popular Westchester County police frequency, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, used to come in loud and clear during certain atmospheric conditions; and they would receive us equally as well.

Wow That Is Crazy. What Is The Farest Place That Anyone Can Here From Where You Are???

I Have Heard The NYC Sanitation Company From Wappinger Falls In Dutchess County.

Thomas

What is really crazy is that my Nextel doesn't work in a lot of locations in southern Westchester. When I was 20 miles south of Cancun Mexico, had full service to Westchester!!!!