Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

The complex meaning of Signal 10-20

5 posts in this topic

Signal 10-20 holds many different and complex meanings to each department in Westchester.

If the signal means "Proceed with Caution",,, I hope every apparatus driver is already being cautious with todays busy intersections and distracted drivers. If it means...." well slow down a little because everthing is ok at the scene" but leave the 80 milllion strobes and LED lites "on" and only use the siren a little. This could be a problem.

IMO if a Chief / Officer on location deems a situation not an emergency ,,,,apparatus should drive in a non emegency mode. this will ensure DUE reguard to all motorists,,, as the lawer will say "the emergency was over".This mode is simple ,,,drive with normal traffic ,,, obey red signals , no crossing the double yellow line. I know every call is different, such as an alarm with burnt toast may require a smoke ejector but not take all day to get there! This is why plain english will be better than a vague code. Apparatus accidents are investgated like watergate. Nothing gets over looked.LOL

Does your department turn off the warning lights if the emergency is over at the location of alarm or incident.

BE safe and keep up the good work

:D

There are two response modes, Emergency Response and Non Emergency Response. I have major isues with "Proceed with Caution".

Non Emergency is the opposite of Emergency. So what would the opposite of proceed with caution be? Proceed with reckless disreguard for safety?

LOL. How ironic. Anyone whom takes an EVOC that I teach we have a very good discussion about this and what a "true emergency" is. Any good lawyer of a person struck by a fire apparatus, whether that person could be found at fault or not depending on the call responded to code 3, can use NYS V&T emergency vehicle exemption law to shred us.

I have the same argument here where we have a chief who IMO races to the scene to call 10-20 when it has absolutely no meaning. You always proceed with caution. You dictate what you do when that is called and of course that's nothing. So its no longer "an emergency" which I can argue 99% of the calls we go on are not true emergencies and shouldn't be responded to with lights and sirens, but you just go slower and not as much siren? How bout protecting those going through intersections from rebound accidents? Emer. Vehicles stand a higher percentage of accidents with both lights and sirens on, then any other combination.

Anyone from today's EVOC class, great job guys!

When we respond 10-20 we turn off all lights and sirens. Drive in the rest of the way like it is a non-emergency

The Croton FD (my Department) uses only two response modes.

Code One - Emergency / Lights & Sirens.

Code Two - Non-emergency / No lights or sirens.

Code one responses are for fires, accident with injuries, most EMS calls, and other life-threatening incidents.

Code two is for CO calls (no symptoms, elevator calls, confirmed false alarms, fluid spills, public assistance calls).

It's been this way for a while, and seems to work well.